Adjustments to Arduino Library Classes?

Hello, I am new to Arduino, and I wanted to get some guidance on best practices. I am writing some code to store and load floating point values from EEPROM. I noticed that the Arduino EEPROM library is a simple wrapper around the byte read and write functions of the avr/EEPROM library. At first I thought, it would be great to add two more methods to this EEPROM class for float, how could I do that? But then I thought about how storing floats requires more careful addressing than storing bytes to avoid overwriting data. It seems like additions such as those could quickly taint Arduino's "simple beauty" that makes it ideal for beginners.

What is the community feeling on stuff like this? I suspect that it would be better to just write a different EEPROM class and share it with anyone interested (on the Playground?), but would appreciate any veterans sharing their sense of the Arduino vibe.

thanks, tim

It seems like it could be possible to add functions for reading and writing floats without complicating the EEPROM library too much. You could take a shot at incorporating it into the existing library and posting the modified version on the playground. Or make a separate library, and if it seems reasonable, we could always integrate it back into the main one. Actually, it might be worth sending some specific suggestions for the extended API to the Arduino developers list (http://mail.arduino.cc/mailman/listinfo/developers_arduino.cc), as that's the place these things tend to get hashed out.

Much thanks. That's just the information I was looking for. t