ADK and power source

Hi,

Im pretty close on getting a Nexus S to do some experiments with Arduino and hardware accessories for mobile phones. However, after Googling around for information there is one thing i cannot figure out.

As i get the setups around the web, the Android device will always try to charge from the Arduino. Does that mean that the phone cannot provide power for the Arduino?

What i want to is to have the mobility in my experiments - and not have to have a DC power supply attached to the wall.

Hope its clear what Im asking.

Thanks for your help - its very appreciated!

As i get the setups around the web, the Android device will always try to charge from the Arduino. Does that mean that the phone cannot provide power for the Arduino?

If the phone is fully charged, it will not try to draw current from the Mega. If not, it will.

The phone does not power the Mega. It's the other way around.

What i want to is to have the mobility in my experiments - and not have to have a DC power supply attached to the wall.

Perhaps you could google this new invention called a battery.

A few Android devices (like my Nook Color) can supply power to the USB, but that's probably not desirable for general use since it significantly reduces battery life.

Thanks for your replies!

It makes a lot of sense - Im just thinking if the battery supplying the Arduino would be drained quick since the mobile device will draw from it as well (obviously dependent on the battery)...

Think i will get my hands on the Nexus S - or maybe wait a few weeks and see how the Nexus Prime turns out.

Have a great weekend :slight_smile: