AdruinoVengers Assemble !! Guidance needed for making automatic room freshener

Hi all

I'm new to creating adruino project.

I need help in making a fully automatic room freshener.
I own a basic airwick freshmatic device (attached pics are from net but device functions same).
What problem i have

• it only allows only to set intensity.

What i want form a automatic room freshener.
-To control intensity of spray for set duration (Spray untill set duration at set itensity)
-To have spray at controlled timings ( alarm based spray at set intensity)
-To have spray as per room conditions, (odor, humidity and temperature)
-To have spray when i enter/leave room (proximity based spray at set intensity)
-To have independent power (solar based for power consumption)

Specifications

• My room size is 10 ft by 11 ft. Height 10 ft. No AC or heater, only ceiling fan.
  • Currently device is kept at height of 3.5 ft.
  • Power supply is 230v standard.
  • Device runs on 2 AA size drycell batteries i,e 3v.
  • The device has motor which plunge the refill for spray.
  • The intensity in device means duration of plunge at given intervals.
    For e.g Low intensity means quick 1 second plunge on refill at interval of 40 mins

I want this device to be completely independent. I have fair knowledge of basic electronics as i'm from engineering background. I need guidance in building the device (coding off-course).
Any help will be appreciated.

Why do you need perfume in your room in the first place?

Maybe this helps you to get started:

first off, WELCOME !

you will quickly find that we are a non-compromising lot. either it works or it does not.
your program is doing EXACTLY what you told it to do, 'it' is not broken,....

as for your project....
adding pollutants in the form of VOC's and fragrances is contrary to air 'freshener'

that out of the way....

there are 3 basic types of gas monitoring sensors.
heated that take 24 hours to burn in and consume lots of power, common, and cost very little
chemical based that consume the chemical, but are deadly accurate, refills are expensive, older technology
and MEMs type that are very new, hard to get, are medium cost and are tiny and low power.

AS-MLV-P2, $13+ in 1k part lots. your price will probably be double for 1, if you can find anyone selling them individually.
you have a better chance buying a product with one in it for less than that !

adding a PIR to detect the presence of a person is not hard, lots of that on the web with an Arduino.
ditto for temperature and humidity. timing for your time period is well within the on-board timer to be within a second.

start with the easy stuff. timing, PIR, temperature and humidity

getting air quality will be hard as the device is a source of pollutants. maybe that makes it easier ? not enough pollutants ? add more !

I would suggest you get the temp/RH/timing/PIR done and data log air quality.

dave-in-nj:
there are 3 basic types of gas monitoring sensors.
heated that take 24 hours to burn in and consume lots of power, common, and cost very little
chemical based that consume the chemical, but are deadly accurate, refills are expensive, older technology
and MEMs type that are very new, hard to get, are medium cost and are tiny and low power.

AS-MLV-P2, $13+ in 1k part lots. your price will probably be double for 1, if you can find anyone selling them individually. you have a better chance buying a product with one in it for less than that !

in the common, easy to get air sensors, there are three manufacturers.
MQ are the cheap ones, (under $5 on e-bay) common on E-bay, higher power than the others.
http://www.china-total.com/Product/meter/gas-sensor/Gas-sensor.htm

MQ have multiple offerings with lots of overlap in sensing. they are broad based. that means that alcohol from any source, perfume, cleaners, fuel, any of it , will register. figure 800mW power at 24V,

Harder to get, but common are sensors from Figaro, 3 times the cost, 3 times harder to get, but still less than $20, lowest power consumption of the lot. 250mW 2 vdc
http://www.figarosensor.com/products/2620pdf.pdf

the third… I did not find the supplier, but price and availability and power use is between the MQ and Figaro ones.

I mentioned chemical based, typically in the hundreds of dollars ($500 and up) for the chemical replacement cartridge, but fractions of PPM accuracy. you need the electronics to make it work. chemical consumption is based on presence of gases present in the sample.

A CO sensor for a parking garage can empty in weeks if cars are left running nearby, or last years if no CO is present. and requires frequent calibration with calibration gas.

let me know if you want to go this route, be happy to send you my old calibration stuff. not very much stuff, use your multi meter and release certified calibration gas into sensor and set zero and span.

alternative, is to prevent odors from getting into the air. oil slick over bowl will stop vapors from getting airborne

Hi All

Thanks for the replies

@Paul_B i need it because its something which i had in mind and not available in market for me :slight_smile:

@6v6gt Thanks for link, i had went through before posting and surely will look into it.

@Dave-in-nj Thanks a lot. I think i will start with timing and temperature first as you said. Then i will look into complex things. Your explanation has helped me clear my mind about how to start

dave-in-nj:
in the common, easy to get air sensors, there are three manufacturers.
MQ are the cheap ones, (under $5 on e-bay) common on E-bay, higher power than the others.
Gas sensor-MQ series

MQ have multiple offerings with lots of overlap in sensing. they are broad based. that means that alcohol from any source, perfume, cleaners, fuel, any of it , will register. figure 800mW power at 24V,

Harder to get, but common are sensors from Figaro, 3 times the cost, 3 times harder to get, but still less than $20, lowest power consumption of the lot. 250mW 2 vdc
http://www.figarosensor.com/products/2620pdf.pdf

the third... I did not find the supplier, but price and availability and power use is between the MQ and Figaro ones.
http://www.winsen-sensor.com/d/files/flat-surfaced/wsp2110.pdf

I mentioned chemical based, typically in the hundreds of dollars ($500 and up) for the chemical replacement cartridge, but fractions of PPM accuracy. you need the electronics to make it work. chemical consumption is based on presence of gases present in the sample.

A CO sensor for a parking garage can empty in weeks if cars are left running nearby, or last years if no CO is present. and requires frequent calibration with calibration gas.

let me know if you want to go this route, be happy to send you my old calibration stuff. not very much stuff, use your multi meter and release certified calibration gas into sensor and set zero and span.

alternative, is to prevent odors from getting into the air. oil slick over bowl will stop vapors from getting airborne
http://www.poopourri.com/

Hi Dave and abhi4u20,

I have been sampling rooms with a $200 spectrophotometric carbon dioxide sensor that does not use up any resources. I have found a good correlation between CO2 ppm and the 'stuffiness' of a room. It also increases somewhat stepwise with the population of a room.

...poopouri's internet ad is cute. An Arduino based dispenser for that would be a cool project. Maybe gross too.

Hi guys,

How should i start ?
following are the things i can get here in india.

Amazon.in : adruino.

I know, i will need board, power supply, tools ... what else ? for basic timer and temperature...