Advice about parts for a beginner and his vehicle project

Hi,

I'm a beginner to Arduino. I have played with it a couple of years ago where I built a robot and a game for a project at work, but haven't touched it since.

I have been thinking about ordering some stuff, and are going to do it when I have the list of parts down.

What my goal is to built, is a robot that can move and be extended. I'm thinking via four wheels. I would like to be able to make it autonomous as well as remote controllable, so it would need vision of some sort too and some way to connect to, say, a phone, and then I would like to make it extendable from the start, to be able to later on add functionality to it.

I have looked on the website of a couple of local (to my country) dealers (I live in Denmark) and I have found a few things I think is the right way to start.

First off is a starter kit. The one I think I should order contains the following:

• 1 x Arduino UNO R3
  • 1 x USB cable
  • 40 x stright single row pinhead connectors 2.54
  • 1 x Breadboard
  • 75 x wire
  • 5 x 10k Ohm resistors 1/4W
  • 5 x 2.2K Ohm resistors 1/4 W
  • 10 x 220 Ohm resistors 1/4W
  • 5 x 330K Ohm resistors 1/4W
  • 5 x 100nF polyester capacitors
  • 5 x 10nF polyester capacitors
  • 3 x 100uF electrolyt capacitors 25Vdc
  • 1 x 4,7K Ohm Thermistor
  • 1 x 70-100K Ohm LDR photoresistor VT90N2
  • 3 x 5mm Red LED
  • 1 x 5mm Green LED
  • 1 x 5mm Yellow LED
  • 1 x 10kilohm Potentiometer
  • 2 x BC547B Transistor in TO92 housing
  • 1 x Piezo buzzer
  • 5 x PCB Pushbutton, 6x6mm
  • 2 x 4N35 Optocoupler in DIL-6 housing
  • 2 x Tilt sensor
  • 1 x Diodes 1N4007
  • 1 x MOS Irf520

Then I was thinking I should order an Arduino Proto Shield too. I don't know much about it other than from what I have read it makes it easier to prototype stuff.

Then I need some wheels, a servo motor (I believe), some way to steer the wheels, some kind of vision and some way for the Arduino to be connected to a remote controller or phone or something. I was thinking bluetooth, but I dunno. I'd also need a battery pack, but I have no idea about what a how powerful it should be.

I don't have an elaborate plan. I'm just thinking that I should order a good mix of things so I'm well set in supplies and don't have to go order stuff every other day because I don't have the parts.

Would be cool if someone knows of a guide or some texts about building a vehicle with an Arduino, vision, remote controlling and so forth, and could hook me up with it.

Thanks!

Come up with an IO list and what each device needs for current/voltage and see what you will need for power drivers, level translators, etc.
A schematic would be even better. You can use free schematic software from here
http://www.expresspcb.com/
to make up simple symbols for the motors & stuff and start working out how things will connect up.
For example, here’s one I did for some LEDs.

Thanks for the reply. I will give it a shot, but I'm a complete beginner to electronics. Building this robot is gonna be my learning project, so I was thinking more in terms of "this motor should be enough for your need", "this bluetooth receiver is easy to get going with an Arduino UNO" and so forth.

I will give it a shot when I have time, though!

Maybe a better start would be a chassis that has some of the stuff taken care, like the motors & mounts & platform:

Pololu - Zumo Chassis Kit (No Motors) https://www.pololu.com/product/1418 The Pololu Zumo chassis is a small, tracked robot platform that is less than 10 cm on each side, allowing it to qualify for Mini Sumo competitions.

SumoBot Chassis | 720-27403 | Parallax Inc https://www.parallax.com/product/720-27403 The body of the SumoBot Robot that holds the board and other mountable objects.

Or at least get some ideas for the mechanical bits & go from there.

Thanks!

My local dealer has the Zumo Chassis Kit and I also found a couple of Micro Metal Gearmotor HP with extended shaft which should fit it. With that and the Arduino starter kit, I should be able to get the robot to move, as far as I can see.

What about remote controlling it and, when I get to building some form of autonomousness into it, it would require some form of vision or "distance measure". Whats the "beginner" way to go here?

Yeah, definitely get a chassis made by someone else, and make sure the motors you want will fit and can be mounted on the chassis.

Standard way to measure distance on robots is ultrasonic distance sensors - HC-SR04 is the usual one people use, as it's cheap and abundant.

Definitely, @DrAzzy!

The only thing I’m not sure about with the chassis and the motors is that the Zumo chassis says in the description that they (the creators) recommend their own hp micro metal gearmotors, and I my local dealer has those in the extended shaft version.

Now it doesn’t say on the chassis description that it doesn’t support the extended shaft version, but it doesn’t say it does, either.

Anyone know if it will fit?