Advice for a project - state of button on Android App

Hello together,

I really love embedded world and more exactly Arduino and I did all sort of projects but I have difficulties on doing something with a Mobile Application & Arduino.

I want to do a project for a friend which involves showing if a pushbutton was pressed or not on a mobile app (Android).

The workflow is like that:
I have an Arduino which is connected to the a local wi-fi and the phone which is connected to the same wi-fi network. The user will start the app from the phone and it will see the state of the button in real time without doing something else. If it is pressed the screen should be green if it is not pressed the screen should be red.
Of course, later on I will do more complicated stuff such as reading sensors but in the beginning, I want something simple.

What I know for sure until now:
• How to wire and get the state of the button of Arduino.
• I think I need a running server on Arduino.

My skills are: Embedded C, C++ bit of Python and a bit of Java. I think for this project I need php like, skills.
Can you tell me from where to start? How should I do, and what parts do I need? Any links will be appreciated. I tried to search on the internet but now I am more confused. I get answers like LoLin, ESP, Php but not a solution.

Thank you for your support and I am waiting for your responses.

1. Get an ESP8266 based Arduino, like the Wemos D1, NodeMCU, etc..

Plenty of horsepower and onboard memory for web pages and data.

1. Program it with the Arduino IDE.

Read this first.
Leo..

Wawa:

1. Get an ESP8266 based Arduino, like the Wemos D1, NodeMCU, etc..

Plenty of horsepower and onboard memory for web pages and data.

1. Program it with the Arduino IDE.

Read this first.
Leo..

Hey Leo thank you for your answer. Still I need an advice on How to do the Android app and how to connect it to the server.

Can't help you there.
Also don't know why you need an Android app. That would restrict it to one device.
Why not make/store a web page on the ESP.
The link/tutorial teaches you how, and to update buttons and range sliders in real time with websockets.
Leo..