Advice on beginner projects for the Arduino Uno

Hi,
I am a complete newcomer to Arduino. I have bought an Arduino UNO atmega328p r3, a bunch of sensors, motors, a 2WD robot, a 4WD robot some shields etc. I also have got breadboards leads and a good selection of components. So I think that I have plenty of gear to get started.

All I've done with the Arduino so far is download the software from the Arduino site and I managed to upload and run he "blink" program which gets the on- board led to flash on/off once every second. So my Arduino seems to be working. Any suggestions for my next step with the UNO? I would be most grateful for any help/advice/links for a logical progression of Uno projects to work through.Thanks.

Welcome jimbob12

If you go trough the examples that are in the IDE you will be ahead of the game when it is time to do your own projects.

Only progress to the next example once you fully understand the current one.

Also, when you come to the BlinkWinthoutDelay example, make sure you master it, you will use the technique it presents over and over again.

Jimbob12:
Any suggestions for my next step with the UNO? I would be most grateful for any help/advice/links for a logical progression of Uno projects to work through.Thanks.

Ok, you can learn all by yourself browsing in the web for free, but this will take you time and your learning curve will be slower and you may actually find mistakes (there are lots of tutorials made by beginners and can lead you to damage your board).

If you have a couple dollars, buy this book :

It will save you time and you'll learn fast and good.

You may find some useful stuff in planning and implementing a program.

If you are thinking of using stepper motors please read stepper motor basics

Read as many Forum Threads as you can and study the code. Exposure to other people's code is a very good way to learn what to do and what not to do. And you will probably come across ideas and techniques that can be adapted or adopted to your projects.

...R

Thanks very much for your replies LarryD Mart256 and Robin2, and for pointing me in the right direction. Will take all your advice on board!