Advice on cockroach detector

Hi, can you point me to the skills and tools needed to build some kind of cockroach detector? I imagine some motion sensor put on the ground and an alarm that sounds depending on the size and speed of the moving thing, maybe that’s not even the best way to think about it. I’m a total newbie on arduido, but I have a science background. I’d appreciate any tips on how to start :slight_smile:

I'm a total newbie on arduido, but I have a science background. I'd appreciate any tips on how to start

You really need to be more specific under what particular conditions you want to detect a cockroach. Vague requirements result in vague solutions.

Simply napalm the area. Anything still living is a cockroach.

I have some phototransistors that include cockroach detection as an application listed in the datasheet. Unfortunately there are no details.

[quote author=Coding Badly link=msg=2015315 date=1419478719]
I have some phototransistors that include cockroach detection as an application listed in the datasheet. Unfortunately there are no details.
[/quote]I just googled and found This "THE EFFECTIVE IS WONDERFUL"

This machine can lure the cockroach, catch them, electric shock and baking them. the customer
will see the catch result directly.

Very nice, and I've heard that baked cockroaches are tasty.

I would be more interested in the laser version.

allanfelipe:
Hi, can you point me to the skills and tools needed to build some kind of cockroach detector? I imagine some motion sensor put on the ground and an alarm that sounds depending on the size and speed of the moving thing, maybe that's not even the best way to think about it. I'm a total newbie on arduido, but I have a science background. I'd appreciate any tips on how to start :slight_smile:

You could get a cheap laser and see of captured cockroaches make a unique detectable interference pattern then just sweep lines and watch for the interference.

You're not going to analyze video of suitable resolution at speed with an AVR so forget about that.

Get a cat? It will find them if they come out. A gecko will go after them but the cat will get the gecko.

The officials who inspect restaurant kitchens are very good at spotting cockroaches.

...R

Greensprings:
God is the greatest computer builder/programmer

Please supply part number and model so we can make an objective comparison.

Weedpharma

Greensprings:
God is the greatest computer builder/programmer

How completely relevant. And 1 + 1 = 2. So where's the cockroach?

Robin2:
The officials who inspect restaurant kitchens are very good at spotting cockroaches.

...R

um..... where do you plug the arduino into one of those sensors ? (not sure I really want to know)

by now you should know you have only offered that you want to do something and not sure where to start.

in order for us to help you, we need more information.

where are the cockroaches ? free roaming in a field would be much harder to detect than domestic ones that favor paths.

anything that moves has a potential to block a light, so you could set up beams of light and as they pass, they break the beams.

some of the motion sensors use heat, not sure if a cockroach provides enough heat.
other motion sensors use different forms of detection. once you can define where you want to detect them, you can narrow down the type of sensors.

then what ? I heard that diatomaceous earth will kill them. you can buy 10 pound bags pretty cheap. when you drop that 10 pound bag, it will kill them dead !

the only problem is that of the device being used. if they can detect it, they may avoid it.

Long after humans and their influence on the planet are only a thin layer in the geological record, cockroaches will reign supreme.

jremington:
Long after humans and their influence on the planet are only a thin layer in the geological record, cockroaches will reign supreme.

every look at your politicians or the news media ?

GoForSmoke:
So where's the cockroach?

In front of the Health Inspector.

dave-in-nj:

every look at your politicians or the news media ?

I.e sooner than you might think/wish ? ?

...R

jremington:

And yet, I've still never seen one in real life. I'm not even totally sure that they even exist.

KenF:
And yet, I've still never seen one in real life. I'm not even totally sure that they even exist.

Youngsters are shielded from too much nowadays.
It's nice to see healthy scepticism.
May I see your perpetual motion machine?

Seasons Greetings

...R

Imagine someone (newbier than you) came to you asked you to build a security alarm system to detect very tiny burglars (cockroach size). How would you go about doing this. Let's suppose the item(s) to be
protected are something very valuable (like food). Why not use laser diode beams across the floor ? We
have had other laser diode beam projects here that were successful. I believe the schematics are readily
available online if you know how to find them.

[EDIT]

I just noticed this has already been suggested (by GofoSmoke):

You could get a cheap laser and see of captured cockroaches make a unique detectable interference pattern then just sweep lines and watch for the interference

I would suggest a moderator to delete the off topic BS out of this discussion.