Advice on powering 25+ stepper motors + 25 LED strips

Hello friends,

I am working on a project in which I have to control 25+ 5V Stepper Motors (28byj-48) and 25+ LED strips. I am using a Raspberry Pi 3 as the central computing unit which then connects to 5 Arduino Unos in a Master/Slave configuration, The motors and LED strips are then connected to the Arduinos.

The motors are connected to the arduinos through motor driver chips which have their own power pin (5V). I currently only have one very large power supply but I imagine that will not be able to power everything.

What are my options in terms of powering everything? Some things I have thought about are arranging the components into separate breadboards (like 5 drivers per breadboard) and powering those separately with batteries/different motors.

Is this feasible? How much extra hardware should I purchase? I will only have access to 2 outlets.

1 Like

I currently only have one very large power supply but I imagine that will not be able to power everything.

Don't "imagine", check the current (and voltage) specs for the motors & LED strips. (And give yourself some safety margin with a power supply rated for more current than you expect.)

I will only have access to 2 outlets.

If you get power supplies [u]like this[/u] you can wire multiple power supplies to the same power cord. (Note that the terminal strips are exposed, so this power supply is supposed to be inside an enclosure where nobody can touch the AC power connections.)

...And before you go all-out with this project, build, test & debug with one motor and one LED strip (if you haven't already done so).