Advice on selling

Hi all,

I’ve been an Arduino user for many years but only recently signed up to this forum. I have a degree in electronics, a doctorate in computer science and worked as a university lecturer in electronics and computing for 30 years until I retired recently.

I have a few educational projects which I sell. I’ve worked a lot with Arduino/ESP8266 in the last few years and developed a board which I think is worthy of sharing. See here.
It has a few gaps here & there but this has become my first choice of board for development work.

I’m a little nervous of plugging my own wares as ‘advice’ & not entirely sure of the protocol here. I’d appreciate some advice.

This isn’t a money making enterprise. Covering my costs is an ambition!! :wink:

Cheers

Ian

put it on one of the crowd funding sites. with that, you can get lots of people to look at it and possibly fund the full manufacturing of high quantities.

make a youtube on different projects you can do. one project, one video

go to the home page of this site, see projects others have done. make one (many?) in the same general fashion as to what is there.

open source the schematic with parts list so others and make at home. not sure what the ratio of people making their own vs. paying the low cost for a fully made board.

Maybe you could sell on Tindie: https://www.tindie.com/about/sell/

I have been working on a single Arduino project for over a year - starting from absolute zero.

I can offer no real suggestions, but I can tell you that some of the problems I've encountered have had surprisingly odd solutions. The error messages from the IDE are often nor helpful, and once you get to realize this it is easier to find bugs.
My most recent encounter was a seemingly intractable problem. I finally found a comment that someone else with the same problem solved it with a complete erase of his board (which used the 8266).
I then tried a completely new out-of-the box module, and everything worked just fine - problem solved! You should warn your people about things like this. Arduino projects do not always go smoothly.

Good luck -
Matt

myiot23:
I'm a little nervous of plugging my own wares as 'advice' & not entirely sure of the protocol here. I'd appreciate some advice.

If you have a product to sell that other Forum users might find useful then I see no problem in mentioning it provided that you make your financial interest very clear.

Some of the other Forum regulars have products that they sell.

From time to time we are asked for advice to help create commercial products and that does not seem to me to be reasonable. If a person envisages making a profit from a project then IMHO he should share that profit with the people who help to create it or else obtain paid professional advice. Your product does not seem to fall into that category.

...R

I can't advise directly on selling this kind of thing as I don't sell stuff I make, but I do sell other stuff. Take johnwasser's advice for using Tindie, get some quantity of boards made and put them on there, see how they go. On your web site, which is excellent IMHO, put a link at the top and bottom saying something like 'The products described here can all be bought from...'. I would imagine there are people out there who will buy your boards to go with the tutorials. Note it would help to sell every part mentioned, not just those parts you make.

Your web page probably needs optimising if you want to be found easily, there are companies that design web sites that also know how to get them seen on Google, if you want a recommendation please ask me.

I am curious about this, right at the bottom of your web page:

Staff & students of De Monfort University are expressly forbidden from accessing the resources on this page without prior arrangement.

Why? And if it's that important why hide it at the bottom of the page? Are you saying that I, as a person with no connection to the University, can use your web page but as soon as I sign up as a student I can't? This just seems weird.

Good luck.

You ask about "selling" and what you really need is "marketing"! Marketing addresses the advantages of your product over the competition and and the disadvantages of using the competition product. Marketing also identifies who will be interested in your product.

Selling comes about when you are face-to-face with a potential customer and then you get into all the details you are familiar with concerning your product and the competing product. Selling also gets into how the customer will use the product and love the product!

You have to know the competition product in detail.

Paul

PerryBebbington:
Your web page probably needs optimising if you want to be found easily, there are companies that design web sites that also know how to get them seen on Google, if you want a recommendation please ask me.

Perry is too polite. Your website sucks.

The background is right out of 1990.
It's a single page- few people will scroll and scroll and scroll down to check out a project.
And your font is OK for 20-30 year olds, but I had to lean into the screen to read the small font.

As @SteveMann says - issues - all running together - contrast is vile gray on gray does not cut it - needs to be organized better - break into small pieces - sort of like good code is with function calls - paging down is real annoying

SteveMann:
Perry is too polite. Your website sucks.

++Karma; // :slight_smile:

I think the content of the tutorial is fine. As to the layout I leave that to the arty people.

myiot23 you are not far from me, I can recommend a good web design company that will turn what you have into a decent web site that will be found on Google.