AFMOTOR library not compatible with Motor Shield v2.3

I recently purchased the Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield (https://www.adafruit.com/products/1438) knowing full well that it was not compatible with the code library for v1. However, v1 was no longer available, and the "Install Software" page associated with the newer hardware said that adapting the library "isn't difficult". I also purchased Michael Margolis' book Make an Arduino-Controlled Robot, which is written on the assumption that I am using v1 of the motor shield. My problem is that in my BattleBots-induced frenzy to make my own bot, I overlooked the fact that I don't have even the skills to conduct an internet search that could point me to the info I need to adapt the library. I've searched this site and the adafruit forums using terms like "AFMOTOR library" and "Adafruit motor shield compatibility", but keep getting directed to threads about writing my own library, which is way more sophisticated than my current capabilities. I went this route because I want to learn, so I'm not afraid of doing the work, but it looks like I don't even know where to start. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Here is the hardware I have, in case it makes a difference: 4WD robot chassis (purchased on Makershed.com) Arduino Uno the shield mentioned above

The software for v1 is a library called "AFMOTOR", which I have installed. The software for v2.3 is in a library called "ADAFRUIT_MOTORSHIELD", and I have that library installed as well. I'm running Arduino 1.6.4 on Mac Os X Yosemite 10.10.4.

The software for v2.3 is in a library called “ADAFRUIT_MOTORSHIELD”, and I have that library installed as well.

So, what is the problem?

I think that what I need to do is somehow adapt the library for v1 of the motor shield to work with the version I have, v2.3. The comment on the document page for the newer shield makes it sound like that is easy, but I don't know where to start.

I think that what I need to do is somehow adapt the library for v1 of the motor shield to work with the version I have, v2.3.

Why? Why not just use the version of the library that goes with the version of the shield that you have?

The book that I have came with example code for the motor shield version that is no longer in production. I don't know how to adjust that code or library, or even if that is the best solution.

or even if that is the best solution.

It probably isn't. Better solutions are to start with the examples that come with the library (the version that matches your board) or to write a sketch from scratch, implementing YOUR (mysterious) requirements.