After Arduino

Arduino is great,

but, I'm looking to move on , get a little closer to the PIC, and 'raw' C programming.

suggestions please ?

is it Eclipse I should be aiming at ?

thanks for the discussion.....

get a little closer to the PIC

Arduino's don't use PICS, or do you mean that you want to switch to a PIC based board?

AVR Studio (Smart | Connected | Secure | Microchip Technology) is Atmel's own IDE.

your right,

I did mean AVR,

brain dropped off line there....
watching tv whilst typing......

drjiohnsmith:
Arduino is great,

but, I'm looking to move on , get a little closer to the PIC, and 'raw' C programming.

suggestions please ?

is it Eclipse I should be aiming at ?

thanks for the discussion.....

If you want to do more raw C/C++ programming, you can get Makefiles to use instead of the IDE here: GitHub - sudar/Arduino-Makefile: Makefile for Arduino sketches. It defines the workflows for compiling code, flashing it to Arduino and even communicating through Serial.. I suspect if you look around you can find Eclipse plug-ins as well.

However, more broadly, if you are running into various limits due to the 8-bit AVR's used, it may be time to think about switching processors. Arm is the likely choice. At some point the Arm based Arduino DUE will be coming out, and it should be compatible with the current environment.

I recently found out about the Simplecortex, which looks like it can take Arduino shields and has on-board ethernet, SD, and a debugger: http://imall.iteadstudio.com/featured-product/im120410002.html.

A little more expensive is the Beaglebone: Beagle Bone A6 + Extras [Rev. A6 ] : ID 513 : $89.00 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits.

Mbed is another option: mbed + extras - LPC1768 development board [v5.1] : ID 834 : $64.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits.

People will mention Rasberry-pi, which is still in limited supply. When I last looked into it, I didn't think it was ready for embedded programming (which it really isn't designed for), but I suspect in 6 months or so the infrastructure might be improved: http://www.raspberrypi.org/.

thank you,

the hardware is an interesting comment, the DUE is a real big thought.

I was more looking for now at the software environment,

If you are new, do not go for make. Learn scons. It is more modern and a lot easier to pick up. It also causes a lot less headaches.