After two weeks out of the office....

.... I am so not looking forward to any or all of the following:

• Shoes
  • Shaving
  • Traffic
  • The zillion handshakes on Monday and "Hey- how was Christmas, did you go away, all the best for 2014"

What I am looking forward to though is jaffles from the shop by the office. A jaffle is a South African peculiarity afaik: it's a toasted sandwich, but made in a round clamp thingy so the square bread is rounded and the edges are thus sealed so it's like a bread pie.

JimboZA:
A jaffle is a South African peculiarity afaik

The name may be - or perhaps not - but certainly not not the item.

JimboZA:
it's a toasted sandwich, but made in a round clamp thingy so the square bread is rounded and the edges are thus sealed so it's like a bread pie.

Commonly called a "sandwich maker" or "sandwich toaster" in various versions. Butter the bread on the outside.

Yeah well that's a new-fangled electric one. Use to be a long handled thing to stick in the fire.

Hi, the electric version is an Australian invention, by Breville.
I think in the UK they call them "toasties", here in Australia we call then "brevilles", "Jaffles" or "Toasted Sandwiches"

Tom.. my breville has pride and place on kitchen bench, never gets put away in cupboard. 8)

Toasted Sandwich here usually applies to one made in a similar grill thing but not shaped to close the edges. So it looks like a normal sarmie, just cooked.

Funny I feel the same way… I’ve been working from home mostly for about a month, now I need to go back into the office for some things, and I’m really just anticipating that breakfast burrito I plan to snag from the cafeteria. These are hand-made-to-order, they are really good with green chili over the top. Everything else at the office… meh… I can do without.

And, at least in Colorado, they, and I wish I knew who they are, have decided to give toasties the ridiculous name “Panini” - and the plural really is “Paninis”

JimboZA:
Yeah well that's a new-fangled electric one. Use to be a long handled thing to stick in the fire.

In the US we would call the long handled thing a "pie iron" and is plenty common in a outdoor/camping environment. I've never heard the name "jaffle" though.

I always assumed "jaffle" was some kind of corruption of "waffle", but no idea where the name came from.

Maybe some guy who made those irons was named Jack, so Jack + Waffle = Jaffle?

JimboZA:
What I am looking forward to though is jaffles from the shop by the office. A jaffle is a South African peculiarity afaik: it's a toasted sandwich, but made in a round clamp thingy so the square bread is rounded and the edges are thus sealed so it's like a bread pie.

I am hungry...

Yum Yum, here in Australia you can likewise buy them from camping centres, square and round jaffle iron for campfire.
I think it may be a variation on waffle.
I have a sandwich press, but breville better when using melting components.
Tom... :slight_smile:

Hungry.... I am now in the mood for a curried mince vetkoek or maybe a bunny chow.