Ah, eBay!

I wanted to contact eBay customer support. They have an option for them to call you back on the phone. They suggest you enter your phone number in the format:

(03) XXXXXXX99

So I did that, replacing the XXXXXXX99 with my phone number. It said "invalid format". After various attempts I tried:

03xxxxxxxx

Where the Xs are my phone number.

A moment later the phone rang. I picked it up. "Hello? Hello? Hello?".

This went on for a couple of minutes with no response from their end. Then I get an email:

{LEGALHEADER}{GREETING}
Thanks for your call about your account {MEMBERID}.

We've tried to call you but weren't able to reach you at the phone number you gave us.

If you have any questions or concerns, we'll be happy to help you. Click "Customer Support" at the top of most eBay pages. (You may be asked to sign in.) Then, click the "Contact us" button on the right side of the page. You'll be given the best option to reach us.

Tip: If you've recently changed to another phone number, please update it in My eBay.

To update your phone number in My eBay:
1.    Go to My eBay.
2.    From My eBay, click the "Account" tab.
3.    Click the "Personal Information" link on the left side of the page.
4.    Click the "Edit" link next to the information you want to update.

{CLOSING}
{LEGALFOOTER}

That was literally it. Hmmm. They "weren't able to reach me", huh? That wasn't my fault. And as you can see their email-generating system needs a bit of work.

Yes with some of these features on various websites, you wonder if anyone from the organisation whose site it is, actually try them out to see if the work. Maybe it's a case of "well it should work and do what we say it will" and leave it at that.

I seem to recall the same process.

I figured it out somehow - but can't recall just how. Sorry!

Had to go through that recently myself. Worked fine, but I'm in Amurica. Looks like the overseas phone number validation code path is broke. Dunno what to say about the email generator. I guess nobody checked that particular template after the last update. ;-) Oops. Happens to the best of us.

A while ago I added a new delivery address and eBay wanted a contact phone number. Try as I might I couldn’t get the system to accept a perfectly valid number. So I e-mailed Customer services.

Their eventual response started along the lines of “Allow me to share a possible solution with you”. Eh? But basically I had to miss out the leading zero from the phone number. Not substitute +44 for UK, or anything like that.