Alarm Monitoring System

The University I attend has panic switches installed in the buildings, staff houses, and dormitories on campus. These alarms are stand alone, and they give off an alarm warning sound when they are triggered. I have proposed to create a web connected desktop application to detect these alarms (the panic switches) when they are triggered.

This is how I want the alarm system to work. When an alarm is triggered in a building on campus, a sensor will detect the triggered alarm and will send a signal to the Arduino board. The Arduino board will be programmed to send this signal to a web server. The Desktop Application upon receiving the signal will alert the users with a notification. Questionnaire:

• What type of sensor should be used for this proposed system? • What type of Arduino board should be used for this proposed system? • How will the panic switches be integrated with the sensors? • What type of wiring will be required to connect the panic switches to the sensors? • What type of wiring will be required to connect the sensors to the Arduino board?

Is it possible to implement this proposed idea?

Possible, yes. Cheap or easy? No.

• What type of sensor should be used for this proposed system?

There are already switches in place. Make them serve dual-duty.

• What type of Arduino board should be used for this proposed system?

Any one that you can attach an Ethernet or WiFi shield to.

• How will the panic switches be integrated with the sensors?

Seamlessly.

• What type of wiring will be required to connect the panic switches to the sensors?

Copper.

• What type of wiring will be required to connect the sensors to the Arduino board?

Copper.

If you can not make ANY changes to the panic switches, you'll need to tell us a lot more about them.

Thank you PaulS for your response.

I'll get back at you about the description of the panic switches.

You mentioned to use existing switches to serve dual-duty. If I use the switches to serve dual-duty, will I still need the sensors?

And could you explain how the alarm signal will travel to reach the desktop app if I were to use switches for dual-duty?

You mentioned to use existing switches to serve dual-duty. If I use the switches to serve dual-duty, will I still need the sensors?

No. If the panic switch can trigger the current system AND your system, then the panic switches ARE the "sensors" that you need.

And could you explain how the alarm signal will travel to reach the desktop app if I were to use switches for dual-duty?

The signal will get to the Arduino. How you program the Arduino to get the data to some other computer is your part of the project. I'd be thinking Ethernet shields (pretty reliable) or WiFi shields (nowhere near as reliable as we'd like) to get the data to a server. The server would do whatever it needed to do when it got the "Panic Switch 3 triggered" message.

So what you're saying is that I can connect the panic switches directly to the Arduino board, and the Arduino board will be connected to the University's access switch. So when an alarm is triggered, the alarm signal will be sent to the Arduino board, and the Arduino board will be programmed to send the signal over the network to reach the destination which is the desktop application.