Alexa Controlling Blinds??

Hello! I'm new to Arduino. And was wondering if someone could help me out greatly. Telling me the basics of what I could need to do this project. I have a room full of motorized Levelor blinds that I would like to be controlled via Alexa. Now I've searched for months for a product that could do this and even waited for Bond Bridge to make them compatible but after waiting over 1.5 years that still hasn't happened. Do you guys think you can help me out with this project??

The Levelor blinds use an RF remote with the signal frequencies in the range of 2.0-2.5Ghz (correction 2.402-2.48GHz) . Is it possible to make an arduino setup to be a smart RF blaster hub, that can send RF signals when using an Alexa Prompt.

I expect it can be done, although I don't know the details of how to achieve it. Take a look at Alexa gadgets; last time a similar question came up it seemed like that would be part of the solution.

Well between 2.0 and 2.5 GHz is a 500MHz wide band which is mostly licensed and therefore not used by your remote. There is a smaller band starting at 2.4GHz which is a world wide license free ISM band used by WiFi, Bluetooth and other IEEE 802.15.4 protocols. You need to find out what protocol is used. This will make your job a lot easier.
If it is something standardized you might find a library and hardware that will make your live a lot easier. Trying to decode the protocol yourself is not easy. Try to find out what hardware is in your blinds and if you can provide us some links to data sheets.

Well between 2.0 and 2.5 GHz is a 500MHz band

No it is not. It is between 2.0 and 2.5 GHz or if you want it in MHz the 2000MHz and 2500 MHz band.

You are better off getting the Arduino to “push” the buttons on the remote.

For the whole solution you could look at the IFTTT system. https://ifttt.com/

Well 2500MHz minus 2000MHz is 500MHz. So its a 500MHz band. Most of this is licensed, depending of the country you are living in.
From 2.4GHz is the ISM band which is only 100MHz wide. And not all of it is used depending the protocol. BLE only uses 2.4 up to 2.4835 GHz.

Anyways thinking of your comments about pushing the buttons. This might actually be a easy solution if you open the remote and connect the arduino to the remotes circuit board.

If you want Alexa to do something, how do you tell Alexa which connection method, frequency, protocol and commands to use with your addition?

I'd look for general purpose Alexa gagdets, like controllable wall outlets, to turn on/off your own device. Or you get some cheap gagdet and cut and use its outputs for your own purposes. Then the Arduino can bridge the gap between the gadget outputs and the blinds or control inputs.

sorry I misread, the actual frequency range is 2.402-2.48 GHz.

Well 2500MHz minus 2000MHz is 500MHz. So its a 500MHz band

No it is not, I think you missed the word “wide” in that statement. Words matter and the wrong words or lack of the right word renders a statement incorrect. You seem to use the word “wide” in your later statements so maybe you forgot to here.

If you figure out how to do this, you might want to see if n Alexa Smart Plug can be worked from a local signal.

these simple plug devices would be the ideal thing for anyone who wants to control a lamp or such.

Yeah it’s more than just a smart plug it has quite a few operations, it has up, down, open, close, stop, and has 3 buttons to select the window your trying to control. I have 4 different windows I need to control. I’m just seeing if it’s possible to create something like a smart bridge RF Blaster just like the Bond hub but that can control a higher frequency range specifically 2.402-2.48 GHz

This is the article where I controlled the buttons of a remote with a processor. In this case it was the Raspberry Pi but the circuit will still work just as good with a 5V Arduino.

You are right Mike. The word wide makes the statement clearer. I change it so future readers will be less confused.

Any more recommendations?

Which Remote do you have? I found a Basic 3-channel and a Premium 6-channel on the levolor.ca website.

It states that the premium remote can be controlled by a smart phone app.

There is a possibility you can control the remote with a BLE enabled Arduino.

Oh man! How did I miss that! I just ordered one so now I do haha!

Klaus_K:
Which Remote do you have? I found a Basic 3-channel and a Premium 6-channel on the levolor.ca website.

It states that the premium remote can be controlled by a smart phone app.

There is a possibility you can control the remote with a BLE enabled Arduino.

Awesome so what do I look into for BLE Arduino?

I have a Arduino Nano 33 BLE.

But first you can download an generic BLE app. I have one called BLE Scanner for the iPhone, but there are others. You might need to try a few. Some semiconductor companies have apps that can be used with their devices but they can be helpful.

What you want to do is find/scan your remote. Connect to it and then look at all the data that is shown. Bluetooth will allow you to discover the services in any case. And it will tell you whether you can read or write to values. The manufacturer can request authorization or can prevent you from accessing data, but that is the next step.

If the manufacturer is nice. You could just connect to the device and change some values for services that are writable. If you can write the information on your phone with a generic app, you should be able to connect to these services with an Arduino and do the same.

I would have thought you need to know what frequency your remote operates on and hope it is in the range of the Bluetooth transmitters. Then if it is you need to work out the codes the remote sends.

Hi Grumpy_Mike, the remote has a bluetooth interface which can be controlled by an App on the mobile phone. So, there is a good chance we can connect to the remote via bluetooth and control the remote, which in turn can control the blinds.

Because it is bluetooth all the information is openly provided by the device. You can connect to any bluetooth device and explore the avaialable services. You might need authentication to change values, this is in the hands of the user. There is a very small chance that the manufacturer does not want any but there own app to change values, but that is not used very often.

I have found the Nano 33 BLE is a bit lacking in support at the moment, I am looking to do some MIDI with it.
What I have seen in the examples is a simple scan program to recognise what discoverable devices are around, but nothing on how to connect to them.