Alexa

I want to find out how an Arduino can be activated via Alexa. How does Alexa know how to find the Arduino? What commands can Alexa send? What is the medium for communications? USB, Bluetooth, Wireless, something else? I have searched but found nothing that answers those questions? What is a good starting point? A tutorial to read?

Perhaps you need to explain what you want it to actually do? Whatever does "activated" mean? :roll_eyes:

The answer will have something to do with an ESP8266 which has WiFi functionality.

Paul__B:
Perhaps you need to explain what you want it to actually do? Whatever does “activated” mean? :roll_eyes:

The answer will have something to do with an ESP8266 which has WiFi functionality.

Anything. How does the request get from Alexa to the Arduino?
Ok, you want something solid. Turn on a light. Activate a solenoid. Move a servo motor from position X to position Y. Lock or unlock a door. Exactly what is not the point.
Something must configure Alexa such that when I say “Alexa, unlock office” it will send via to get the job done.
Where should I look to make those discoveries?

Edit: The ESP8266 is a low cost wifi adapter. The answers the media part, the easy part. Where can I find something that describes how to configure Alexa to use Wifi and what message it is to send?

There is an X10 example available for the Arduino.

The ‘Advanced Devices ISY994IRPro Web Enabled Insteon Controller’ can control the X10 Arduino device.

The ISY controller can be controlled by Alexa.

aarg: https://developer.amazon.com/en-US/docs/alexa/smarthome/understand-the-smart-home-skill-api.html

That looks like exactly what I need. It will take a bit of reading and considering. Thank you.

aarg: https://developer.amazon.com/en-US/docs/alexa/smarthome/understand-the-smart-home-skill-api.html

aarg: Have you created a skill this way?

DIY Amazon Skill- That's the hard way.

Or you could just flash Tasmota on your ESP and run node-Red on a Raspberry Pi.

Not sure where it is ....but you can effectively steal a skill intended for another commercial home automation device and make your Arduino look like and respond like that device . Google will help you . I successfully made such a device with a 8266 some years back , but can’t recall the device skill.

This is a cheat approach but means you don’t have to create your own skill .

A quick google shows loads of stuff for Alexa and Arduino now , including skills .