All versions of IDE on one Win10 PC gives read-only status to new file ...

Hello,

This issue began a while back and I ended up using another windows 10 pc to get through it. I am stumped.

I have many versions of the IDE, none of them installed. I just downloaded 1.6.13 and when I run it the same symptom appears. On a brand new file it is read only. I can alter it because it is grayed out; I can not save it because the save and save as are grayed out…

Very strange. How can I fix this? I am willing to erase the old installs and associated directories … I have tried and it did not help - maybe I did not get all of them?

I have attached a couple of images to help understand the issue.

Thank you so much for helping.

I tried installing the IDE using another userid on the machine and it works fine! So there is something going on with my environment in the first login. Is there a "complete cleanup" procedure or program?

ok ... I found the directories to rename ... (https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=362507.0)

On Windows: Arduino IDE 1.6.5r5 and previous: C:\Users(username)\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15 Arduino IDE 1.6.6 and later: C:\Users(username)\AppData\Local\Arduino15

I also found a c:\Users(username)\AppData\Roaming\Arduino directory.

I renamed these and re-ran the IDE 1.6.13 and now it is not read-only.

One last entry … I compared the preferences.txt file of the working to non-working configs.

One thing stood out. The “editor.external” setting was “true” on the non-working config.

I restored the non-working config and edited the preferences.txt file.

Tried again and voila, it is fine now.

Hurray!

Hopefully this help someone else.

You can also change that setting at File > Preferences > Use External Editor.