Allergic Reaction Detection

Hi!
I am a research science student looking to create a bracelet which could detect an allergic reaction and alert the wearer if a reaction is occurring. During an allergic reaction, mast cells release chemicals such as histamine into the bloodstream. The release of these chemicals are responsible for the symptoms that occur in an allergic reaction (examples: sore throat, hives, low blood pressure, etc.). I originally planned on using Raman spectroscopy to detect histamines in the bloodstream. However, the price of an efficient Raman device is far outside of my budget range. I have considered using other precursors that are involved in an allergic reaction, such as low blood pressure. I have been brainstorming ideas to create a bracelet that could monitor one’s blood pressure and use the rapid decrease in blood pressure to determine an allergic reaction. However, many blood pressure monitors exist (usually not for allergy purposes, but for other purposes), and blood pressure could decrease for other reasons. Additionally, one’s blood vessels dilate during an allergic reaction, which is known as vasodilation. However, I am not sure how this dilation can be detected. I was wondering if there are any Arduino products that would help me create a bracelet that could sense an allergic reaction? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You can't work backwards from a programming concept to a design, especially in this case. First you have to find a working measurement strategy. Then worry about what hardware you will need. Then code. Perhaps there is someone here who can answer your question about a vasodilation measurement, but I doubt it. Try a medical forum.

As a doctor, how would you measure vasodilation?

aarg:
As a doctor, how would you measure vasodilation?

Lack of consciousness. :smiling_imp:

Even if you find a suitable sensor you are still faced with a plethora of false-positive triggers. If you pursue histamine measurement being sick is a trigger. If you pursue low blood pressure being dehydrated is a trigger. Etcetera. Such a device would drive me nuts then end up tucked away never to be seen again.

I suspect you are moving much too quickly to "solution". As a research science student this situation strikes me as an opportunity for research: strap a bunch of simple sensors to people likely to have systemic reactions, collect as much data as possible, then see what falls out.

CL255:
I was wondering if there are any Arduino products that would help me

All Arduino products are processors: they take data in, mull it over, spit out some info (all under the control of your program).

In that sense then, all Arduino products can help since that's exactly what your bracelet has to do. Some will be more practical than others of course: size, power requirements, number of input pins etc etc.

But if you mean is there an Arduino product close to doing that off the shelf, then of course the answer is no since they're all "empty" when you buy them.

(Be aware too, that Atmel the Arduino chip makers, explicitly preclude medical use of their products without written agreement. I know at this stage it's research, but thinking ahead to real world use, you may want to bear that in mind.)