almost have my workshop desk back

I got a 72-bin rolling rack from harbor freight tools a few days ago, and have spent some time trying to organize all my parts and doo-dads. now if only i had a few more bin racks... or maybe just bigger bins labeled "miscellaneous" :wink:

found some items i forgot i had, like an Adafruit thermal printer, for example. i suppose if i create a project with that, and combine it with my bar-code scanner, i could inventory my parts, and print a little slip of paper with the part details printed on it, and tape it to the parts baggy. and hey, if i mount my peg-board down there, i could buy some of THESE from Uline, punch a hole in the top and hang my bulk parts to free up bins for the other parts.

now i just have to create a PHP-based parts inventory system to handle the database.

Oh, but there is a flaw in my system... my thermal printer is not a computer driven printer, but a microcontroller driven printer, so i may be better off hand writing labels... not sure how long thermal printed paper lasts anyway. it would have been neat though.

now, the bar-code scanner... i can print location bar-codes on every bin, and on the peg-board hooks, i could have bar-code labels as well. so that way, when i have to update my inventory, i can scan a location bar-code, get a list of everything in that location, and then add or remove parts as needed.

I can also setup the inventory script to produce a map that is printable (if necessary), with a search engine function so i can find parts, if i have them in stock.

right now, i am going to make this project a priority, as if i can't find my parts, or my desk, then all other projects are difficult to work on. besides, if i can't find parts i have, i may not know i have them, and may order more.

If i get the PHP/MySQL parts inventory system working, i may pop it onto my GitHub, in case others may find it useful.

~Travis

Arn't most micro-controller printers just serial printers. I think you could get it working with a PC if you wanted to...

I bought something simular a few months back, but it only had... er, um.. 3 4 * 4 = 16.. 16 bins. I was going to keep them neat and shit but now instead of one junk drawer i have 16 junk drawers :frowning:

PHP is getting old now. What about some flashy AJAX or HTML5.

travis_farmer:
right now, i am going to make this project a priority, as if i can't find my parts, or my desk, then all other projects are difficult to work on. besides, if i can't find parts i have, i may not know i have them, and may order more.

If i get the PHP/MySQL parts inventory system working, i may pop it onto my GitHub, in case others may find it useful.

Personally, for a single user bespoke system, I would use SQLite and RealBasic (now Xojo) and have a functioning, standalone application in ~2 days. Even if I didn't know RB already, it would still be quicker than LAMP/WAMP, the main benefits of which are muti-user, ubiquitous access.

travis_farmer:
A bit of research found a Rpi driver, but none for windows. the research also stated the printer uses the "ESC/POS" protocol, so i will do a search later and see if i can dig up something.

If your printer is a rebadged reciept printer, the electrical interface is most likely 3.3/5V TTL. ESC/POS is an Epson protocol, plagerised by many other manufacturers in the days of DMP. Printer commands are sent by embedding the escape character (ASCII 27), followed by a command code also in ASCII, within the output run. The command causes a mode change, which persists until the next Esc command or reset.

another option may be to have an Arduino access the MySQL DB (via the MySQL connector library), and print stored labels/reports from the DB that were generated by the PHP script. maybe the code would poll the DB automatically. seems like a very interesting idea.

We have a figure of speech in England, "It's all a bit Heath Robinson." The Heath Robinson in question was an English cartoonist, famous for drawing ludicrously complicated machines, designed to carry out simple tasks.

:slight_smile:

Hi
USA has Rube Goldberg.

Tom... :slight_smile:

travis_farmer:
Interesting, very interesting...

I managed to find the Esc command reference for one of the thermal printers Adafruit sell, here. Page ref: 9/24

do you see what it says under my stars, to the left of this post? :wink:

I live in hope of the day I read you have finished one of your many projects. But I fear before that happens, you will need to learn to adjust your ambitions, to meet more achievable goals and milestones.

travis_farmer:
As for finishing my projects, if i do that, what will i have left to do? i will just be bored. :wink:

But seriously, my projects seem to evolve based on what i need. by that format, i can tailor the parameters so they bend to my will.

All part of the fun of being a hobbyist. Maybe because my day job usually entails delivering projects to several customers simultaneously, I try to keep it to one thing at once in my own time. My hobby projects don't always finish as such but I do try to reach an end point between each round of development.

my parts inventory system is on pause while i evaluate a pre-made system i got off SourceForge.

A very sensible move I would think.

my server rack temp monitoring system is still in working prototype mode, pending me building the rack enclosure. i plan on doing that this weekend, unless priority takes over. still don't have any hard-drives for the servers yet...

That server will be obsolete if you don't get disks in it soon. Shame you are on the wrong side of the pond. I have a couple of Dell servers heading for the trash, once I get around to driving up country to collect them.

I had to look at forum software for a client a year or so ago. After going through the usual suspects, vB, phpBB, SMF, I settled on MyBB. Streaming audio from an on premises server is very doable but video does not easily scale out - Hence the popularity of Youtube and Vimeo, even with corporate players.

Anyhow Travis, I somehow doubt you are ever going to be bored :smiley:

MattS-UK:
Shame you are on the wrong side of the pond. I have a couple of Dell servers heading for the trash, once I get around to driving up country to collect them.

Don't trash them. I'm sure that there is a hackspace somewhere near you that could use them and would be grateful for the donation. Are you in or near London? If so, I'd be willing to collect them and deliver them to one of the 3 London hackspaces.

Henry_Best:
Are you in or near London?

With the gentrification that has been going on since they opened the A3 tunnel, I might think so but no. I'm on the South coast, literally a mile from the sea. Nearest cities are Chichester and Portsmouth.

If so, I'd be willing to collect them and deliver them to one of the 3 London hackspaces.

These are 'old' servers. Still functional but too slow, too big and too hungry to pay their way any more. Certainly not worth my time to re-purpose. I assumed no one (except Travis) would want them but I will see if I can find a hacker space locally. Thanks for the idea.

travis_farmer:
i got my 1U server mounted. i had to alter the new slide rack ears a bit, but that's OK. i still have the originals.

OEM slide rails are a complete rip off. I use fixed universal rails whenever possible - Basically a length of angle iron with holes drilled in the right places.

I am wondering whether you have the right rail kit for your server.

Curious to know, what model of Dell server do you have?
And why are the hard disks proving so difficult to get hold of?

...even when i finally get hard-drives, my server will have to go through a long shake-down period to make sure i have as many loopholes patched up as possible. worst part is, my internet connection is slow and flaky, so i barely have the bandwidth to run a top-level operation, just a hobby setup. should be live in a year or two.

Just LOL. I re-purposed a couple of R210 IIs last week - A bit of an adventure. The pair of them should be in production by the end of next week.

i am a little nervous at the prospect of going live. i ran a small server in the past, but i never had much exposure.

You realise I could probably rent you space on a shared cPanel host for two years, for less than it is costing you to build your basement server. Depends whether you want to get your kicks building a server or operating one, I guess.

Dunno whether this helps you at all. Seems the PE1950 rails are not quite standard.
https://www.racksolutions.co.uk/dell-poweredge-1950-rail-kit.html

Your drives though, as good I asked. SAS interfaces are electrically, mechanically and protocol compatible with SATA. That is to say, you can go right ahead and plug a SATA drive into a SAS interface and it will work just fine. What you can not do is plug a SAS drive into a SATA interface, as the protocol is not compatible in that direction and the SAS connector is mechanically designed to prevent it.