Alternating Turbo Oven power switch

So I haven't been in the Arduino world for a few years. I mainly want to know likely what components I would need to be able to alternate the power of this turbo oven on and off at set intervals. An alternate approach would be to set a variable amount of energy being applied by the heat source
I roast coffee with this machine and I need a steady way to adjust the temperature as the beans roast.

An example roast procedure:
Have the heat on full for the first 3-4 minutes
Begin to turn off the heat for 5 seconds out of 15 from 4-6 minutes
Alternate on and off 50 / 50 for the remainder of the roast (up to usually 11-12 minutes).

An additional variable that would be nice to control would be the fan speed. As the video demonstrates, the fan is always full on when the oven is active.

I am not really a hardware guy and do not know much about electricity or circuitry so I'm a but apprehensive about taking my beloved roaster apart if it may kill it. I realize I have not given much to go on but maybe someone here has an idea of what it may take to accomplish this.

Below is a video showing the basic functions I described.

Here is the actual unit I purchased
AMAZON
Thank you!

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html.

Please post your images as attachments and then place them in your posting, some forum members do not use a PC platform and off forum sites can be difficult to read.

What is the power/volt rating of the roaster?

Thanks.. Tom.. :slight_smile:

If mechanical things are a challenge then messing with a mains powered device that is made from glass and gets up to 450 deg F (230 C) isn't really a beginners project.

The safest option is to make a dial turning robot that sits on top and engages the two control dials. Perhaps use mechanical cable actuated controls (like the brakes on a bicycle) so all the electronics can sit well away from the high temperature environment of the cooker.

I was thinking in the line of relays. Place relays (traditional or SSR) in the heating coil and/or rotisserie circuits (or even the oven's power supply itself) and use that to switch it on and off according to program. Your unit is 1200W which in the US at 110V amounts to 11A, requiring relays to match, no cheap made-in-China ones.

The above should be quite simple with the correct parts and skills, but make sure you know what you're doing as making mistakes in the wiring can lead to fire, explosions and electrocution. Or, if you're lucky, just a blown fuse because you simply shorted it all out.

If you're more experienced with AC power and control you could even go for TRIAC based dimmer style circuit to regulate the heat beyond just on/off. DEFINITELY not for beginners - even more so as you're switching 11A.

mikb55:
The safest option is to make a dial turning robot that sits on top and engages the two control dials. Perhaps use mechanical cable actuated controls (like the brakes on a bicycle) so all the electronics can sit well away from the high temperature environment of the cooker.

I think this will probably be my solution for the time being. I'm thinking some kind of servo that rotates 180 degrees or something.

Thanks!