Alternative IDE for Visually Impaired Users?

Hello! So the arduino IDE is not accessible for visually impaired users (this should change!!!). You can type text but the buttons and context menus cannot be read by screenreaders. For the moment I'm looking for alternative IDEs (such as notepad++ or sublime etc.) but that have the capability to upload and choose serial ports and such without having to go back to the arduino IDE. Any ideas?

I know there are ways to use arduino in the command line but I will soon be leading a workshop and am hoping there is a suitable cross platform way that won't have intense setup processes that will discourage participants. Unfortunately the ino command line toolkit is mac/linux only and command line arduino in windows is a lot of work.

Any thoughts at all will be helpful!

What kind of feature you need for the IDE to be 'visually impaired' compatible besides the compatibility with screenreaders? What screen reader do you use? normal windows narrator?

looks like eclipse is recommended by some Visually Impaired Users. But to be honest. I'm happy I'm not suffering it; so I don't have a clue what would be needed. Best regards Jantje

conorowenbarry: Unfortunately the ino command line toolkit is mac/linux only and command line arduino in windows is a lot of work.

Best install linux then. Windows never has had good support for the sort of customisation which you need and for commercial imperative reasons, it does tend to change whenever people get the hang of it.

Much of the linux environment including the font size is adjustable. High contrast high visibility desktop themes are widely available. Why would you want anything else?

the buttons and context menus cannot be read by screenreaders

I would suspect that this is something that ought to be easily fixed; probably something overlooked. I don't suppose anyone knows the relevant google terms for "java objects friendly to the visually impaired" ?

Hmm. Perhaps not. I has assumed that the IDE was using some standard bloated GUI "classes" to provide its functions, but it looks like it does its own pretty low-level processing. :-(