Am i missing anything?

Hi all,

I am totally new to this - in fact so new, that my Arduino starter kit + wifi shield is in the mail.

I want particular blinds to open when sun is out. Plants in particular seems to like this :slight_smile: However, we always forget it. So I wanted to rectify that, and perhaps learn some Arduino stuff on the way. So, when all done and learned, I hope to end up with an Uno board with:

a) a sensor that detects light level and
b) sends input to a motor, that turns the blinds’ handle.

Certain light level means either open/close. I can then log in via wifi and check some log file with status of blinds, perhaps also room temperature just for kicks, on a diff. sensor.

My question: do i need more stuff? I have ordered this kit Arduino® Starter kit - Arduino UNO + Bog + 15 projekter and a wifi shield.

Any comments on project and stuff that I need much appreciated. So many thingies and knobs and what not, so hard to know if your first step is on the right path :slight_smile:

Looks like the kit has photoresistors, transistors, an H-bridge, and motors, so you should be good to go.

I suggest getting the blind adjustment fully working first, then networking it.

Also note that you will need some hysterisis in the system. You don't want your blinds opening and closing each time a cloud passes in front of the sun, or at night, when a lightening bolt happens.

Henry_Best:
Also note that you will need some hysterisis in the system. You don't want your blinds opening and closing each time a cloud passes in front of the sun, or at night, when a lightening bolt happens.

You make a good point.

Me, I would use a RTC (Real-Time Clock) and based on my latitude and longitude, compute the declination of the sun every minute or so and angle the blinds to match. No light sensor.

But, the light sensor will be a lot easier/faster to code. :slight_smile:

tylernt:

Henry_Best:
Also note that you will need some hysterisis in the system. You don’t want your blinds opening and closing each time a cloud passes in front of the sun, or at night, when a lightening bolt happens.

You make a good point.

Me, I would use a RTC (Real-Time Clock) and based on my latitude and longitude, compute the declination of the sun every minute or so and angle the blinds to match. No light sensor.

But, the light sensor will be a lot easier/faster to code. :slight_smile:

A couple of minutes delay, to ensure that it really has got dark, before closing the blind, should be sufficient.

Back in the day I made a simple web controlled blind that used a servo to tilt the slats from full open to full closed.

http://web.comporium.net/~shb/blindtilt.htm