Amarino Moto Logger

Hello I am totally new to the Arduino platform and inexperienced with ADK as well. For my first project, Id like to build a data logger which is synced to my Android phone, The only thing i need this logger to do is keep track of time. however I need it to start the timer when I hit a button on my handlebar and stop the timer when either a reset button is hit or I reach a predetermined destination. The GPS program I am using on my droid is CoPilot live. Is it possible to program a background process that will signal the Arduino to stop the timer when i have reached my destination? Also I need the unit to save the times for later retrieval. Any help or direction would be much appreciated. Thank you-Rob

Hi,

Ashdricky: Hello I am totally new to the Arduino platform and inexperienced with ADK as well.

And welcome :)

Ashdricky: The only thing i need this logger to do is keep track of time. however I need it to start the timer when I hit a button on my handlebar and stop the timer when either a reset button is hit or I reach a predetermined destination.

The first part (with the button press) is very straightforward. The Arduino knows about time to the millisecond, give or take the usual caveats around accuracy which shouldn't impact this application. The button interface is easy, and with a battery backed-up real-time clock module you can get the date/time to remain persistent after powering down. Logging can be done to many different media (even the interweb with the right hardware) but there is some inbuilt EEPROM that would do the job, and SD card modules as well.

The question of a predetermined destination is when it gets a little bit interesting. This will come down to your design, budget, and the available data your Android app can provide you over whatever interface you can use to get the info to your Arduino. It's possible you would be best served running the whole system on your phone, since all the hardware you need is there. At the other end of the scale, with a GPS module and some kind of display, you could do the lot on your Arduino based project by manually entering the coordinates.

I did a quick google-fu on Copilot Live and the only external data feed it seems to provide is facebook or twitter. That's not a bad thing, but if you're only talking about local logging it does seem a bit extreme to have your Arduino watching Twitter for information :) Having said that, it is possible. If you know the app can provide the destination over bluetooth or USB to another device then you've got a simpler path.

So after that bit of a ramble, it's really down to your budget and design what you can achieve. But if you want to work with your phone, I'd be looking to writing something to run on the phone as an alternative.

Geoff

Thank you your information is quite helpful, as far as the budget goes I would like to keep it under $150,00. The reason I want to build an external display is so that I can see the time without having to look down, the Android is mounted almost flat on my top triple clamp, therefore making it nessecary to look down to see it, which is not an issue at a stoplight but obviously hazardous while in motion, would it be possible to write a piece of software that plugs in to copilot and sends a signal to arduino when the "arrived at destination" message appears? I have to build a project for school and I wanted to tie it in somehow with my current project, which is an old race bike

Ashdricky: would it be possible to write a piece of software that plugs in to copilot and sends a signal to arduino when the "arrived at destination" message appears?

That's a good question, and the key one imo. If they have a user community or a support line it would be worth asking there. Otherwise to keep the budget down you might have to log the journey's end with a button press rather than having it sync'd to the phone. If the app can do something for you, then perhaps an IOIO board would be able to give you the interface you need.

Thank you, i got the arduino today, and have some other components coming, dont think that the button press will work as Im sure that I will forget to press it after an 8 hour ride! I will look into the copilot app to see if there is any useable output, I have next to no programing experience and would not know where to start with the software