Amplifier Advice

Hi, Are there any audio amplifiers out there that are programable and will work with an Arduino or other software? To be clear Im looking for a decent amplifier that can drive 400watt system.

What does "programmable" mean in the context of an audio amplifier? What is it you want to program?

Steve

that can drive 400watt system.

And, what does that mean? 400W speakers? 400W speakers don’t “need” a 400W amp…

and will work with an Arduino

The regular Arduino doesn’t have a true analog-output, but you can use tone() to generate square waves, then add a series capacitor to filter-out the DC component (so the signal goes positive and negative like a normal audio signal) and you’ll need a pot/volume control if the amplifier doesn’t already have one.

“Be careful” with constant tones. Music is dynamic with quiet parts and loud parts and you can easily burn-up speakers (especially tweeters) with high-power tones. And, I wouldn’t use TMRpcm with a good amplifier because it’s not analog and it can potentially burn-up the amp.

If you want to play regular program material I recommend an audio shield which will have a DAC (true analog output).

[u]Here[/u] are some pro power amplifiers.

juliansolace: Hi, Are there any audio amplifiers out there that are programable and will work with an Arduino or other software? To be clear Im looking for a decent amplifier that can drive 400watt system.

You are looking for a power amp with a 12V trigger input perhaps? Or do you want more control that that? Be specific if you can, vague leads to confusion normally.

Hi!

400W sounds like a lot for home use application - unless you intend to drive a big as(s) woofer :) I agree with the comment before that music content is actually quite low in terms of average output power while you want to be able to produce high peak output power levels. In technical terms the ratio between average and peak is called crest factor. The crest factor for music is quite high, while the crest factor for a sine wave for example is quite low.

Having said that, I know (because I am part of the dev team) that Infineon comes with an Arduino compatible board (board with MKRZERO on top) that allows you to use example Arduino code to configure the amp (volume control, limiter, etc) using I2C and have status monitoring (protection features ike over temp and over current). Peak output power will be around 100W one channel or 50W two channels all power from USB-C power brick.

Let me know if you are interested, I can help you get going.