amplifier needs

hello,

I am new to this stuff, and I'm building a rain sensor.

I'm using a piezo buzzer from digikey http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/47-buzzer-piezo-element-6khz-44mm-ceb-44d06.html

to collect information about raindrop events. The problem is that the voltage output from these drops is too low for arduino to read.

I think that I need to amplify the signal somewhere between 10 and 100 times (I am not sure exactly how much because I still need to do field testing).

An op-amp was suggested to me, but I don't know how to implement that.

Right now, I have the positive line from the piezo element going to analog; the negative goes to ground, and a 100 kohm resistor connects the positive and negative lines.

For these op-amps, it looks like there are many more lines, but I just really have no clue about how they work, how I would wire it, or what size/kind I need.

Thanks for the help!

[u]Here[/u] are a few op-amp schematics.

You can make an amplifier with an op-amp and two resistors.

For these op-amps, it looks like there are many more lines...

An op-amp basically uses 3 connections (+in, -in, and out).

Plus, you have to supply power (usually a +voltage and a -voltage). And you'll generally need a ground connection, although (depending on the circuit) you don't always need to connect an op-amp pin directly to ground.

One potential issue is that most op-amps need both positive & negative supply voltages, and there's a good chance that your current set-up does not have a negative supply. In your application, you may be able to get-away with connecting the - power supply pin to ground. With no negative supply, the op-amp can't go all the way to ground (zero volts out), but that shouldn't be an issue for you. And, with no negative supply, the output can't go negative, which is a good thing because you dont wan't to feed negative voltage into the Arduino.