Amps versus volts

Ok, I have learned a lot about electricity, and this forum has been awesome in teaching me. So I need one more question answered to top off the subject.

I understand that too many volts can destroy a component, and that amps do not matter as the component only takes the amps it needs.

So why are there resistors? I know resistors decrease current, but if current doesn't matter, why use resistors? I can only think one reason, example, an led by itself is vulnerable to amps, but if the led is part of a pcb, it would be safe from amps, due to the resistors in the pcb. Correct? Then it is safe to assume certain components can be destroyed by amps. If I am wrong, please advise.

that amps do not matter as the component only takes the amps it needs.

That is only true of chips and such that are designed to take a specific voltage. Things like LEDs do not "take" a voltage, the current through them needs to be managed.

I know resistors decrease current,

No they don't.
Resistors develop a voltage across them dependent on the current and resistor value.

but if the led is part of a pcb, it would be safe from amps, due to the resistors in the pcb. Correct?

No not correct.

Thank you Grumpy!