An IDE curiosity..

I've always understood that one 'uploads' to a host, and 'downloads' to a target....

The arduino IDE does the opposite.

No worries, but I wonder why?

Allan

I have always thought that you upload from the PC and download to the PC. I might be wrong, that DTE and DCE thing still confuses me.

You upload to a host because you access the host via wireless which is in the airwaves above you, but you upload to the Arduino because it's sitting on your desk, above your PC which sits on the floor. No?

I’ve always understood that one ‘uploads’ to a host, and ‘downloads’ to a target…
The arduino IDE does the opposite. No worries, but I wonder why?

I agree with your interpretation. The “Download” direction is from a bigger computer to a smaller computer, whether the big computer is some sort of “server” that your PC gets a file from, or the PC sending a file to a microcontroller…
I can see multiple ways to interpret things differently, though. And countries where English is not the default language were involved, so it doesn’t bother me much. (The most compelling interpretation: for a modern WWW user, “upload” means to send something FROM their computer, and “download” means to move something TO your computer.)

The bigger/smaller definition usually works. Unless you are a satellite engineer. Then "upload" really is UP!

it is about the payload. you upload it at source and download at destination. for example at factory you upload on truck and download it at storage or you upload at storage and download at customer...

I have always thought of "upload" as me sending something and "download" as me receiving something. In most cases "me" is my PC.

...R

Robin2:
I have always thought of "upload" as me sending something and "download" as me receiving something. In most cases "me" is my PC.

...R

I agree, it is a subject's view of upload at source and download at destination

and to other opinions: I see Arduino as a server

Robin2:

...R

Me too.

If you are sending something you are uploading
If you are receiving something you are downloading

UKHeliBob:
Me too.

If you are sending something you are uploading
If you are receiving something you are downloading

To further add confusion to this, in my mind "uploading" and "downloading" also depends on who initiates the transfer. To upload means to initiate sending, and to download means to initiate receiving. For example, if a PC is uploading a file to a server, I wouldn't say that the server is downloading the file, because it didn't initiate the file transfer; I might say that the server is receiving an "upload", or a "file upload", which is using "upload" as a noun rather than as a verb.

christop:
To further add confusion to this, in my mind "uploading" and "downloading" also depends on who initiates the transfer. To upload means to initiate sending, and to download means to initiate receiving. For example, if a PC is uploading a file to a server, I wouldn't say that the server is downloading the file, because it didn't initiate the file transfer; I might say that the server is receiving an "upload", or a "file upload", which is using "upload" as a noun rather than as a verb.

i agree generally.

What about the case where the fie is uploaded to the server at the server's request? (Perhaps this is recursive thinking gone mad).

...R

What server can reach into your PC and take a file?

Robin2:
What about the case where the fie is uploaded to the server at the server's request? (Perhaps this is recursive thinking gone mad).

MorganS:

We have a BackupPC server that calls rsync to periodically "take" files from multiple workstations and other servers. In that case the BackupPC "server" is acting as a client that downloads files from the workstations.

ie we're all still confused....

Just so long as it works.

Allan

Uploads are pushed, downloads are pulled.

MorganS:

Sorry for my attempt at humour being confusing. I meant a situation like on this website when you are invited to upload an attachment.

...R