Analog INPUT to trigger PMW Pin

My audio sensor (going to analog input on arduino) has an on-board pot to change sensitivity. I’ve set this pot to very sensitive (to pick up even very quiet audio levels). I want to add another pot that I can easily turn by hand so that I can dial down very loud signals so that only some of the audio hits the threshold.

Adding the potentiometer between the sensor output and the A0 pin doesn’t work as I would have expected.

How do I control the amount to loud volume which hits the threshold with a potentiometer. I need smooth baby smooth!?

Any help or what I should be learning about/googling here in noob town would be great. Thanks!

Is the analog output always high and it pulls low to signal sound? Hmmmmm. I’m lost

What audio board do you have? There are "sound detector" boards with a digital output, and a pot pot on a digital output won't work. Otherwise the pot should give you additional downward adjustment.

You can also try changing the software threshold. As long as the sound circuit or the Arduino are not clipping (maxing-out), raising the software threshold should work.

Are you using the serial monitor to check your analog readings? What are you getting?

Like this one here:

For some reason I'm having a hard time pasting from my clipboard on my phone. It's a 3 pin audio sensor. Generally they are blue in color and has a potentiometer on board.

This type of sensor is sending an analog signal correct?

Is it high and then pulls low ( hitting the desired threshold) depending on the audio signal? When it'an analog signal, is it always the same value when is pulled low?

This type of sensor is sending an analog signal correct?

I don't know... Are you getting analog-like readings that basically look random, or digital-like values... essentially two different values with nothing in-between?

For some reason I'm having a hard time pasting from my clipboard on my phone. It's a 3 pin audio sensor. Generally they are blue in color and has a potentiometer on board.

How about a manufacturer & part number or a link to the specs/datasheet? (Hopefully, you didn't buy something "random" from eBay with no specs...)

Lol I tooootally did buy some random from ebay! I can't at the moment get info, but will get info soon to help you help me! Please check back on this topic tomorrow if you coud. Thanks!

This is what the sensor is:

Check out this item I found on eBay: eBay

For others that could help me and reading this for the first time, I want to know how/ where I should put my potentiometer for even finer adjustment of audio sensitivity.

I tried different valued pots between ground and positive voltage. Seems to me that the pot will pull the voltage up or down depending on where I put it.

I would replace R1 & R2 with your extra pot. This would control the bias on the microphone and so therefore the output.
Anything else and turning down will not be effective because the input amplifier will already have saturated.

Yes I had thought of this but wasn't going to take it apart until somebody else thought it made sense to. I will try that tonight and will let you know how I made out. Thanks