Analog noise reduction suggestions needed

I have a setup that uses wired joystick potentiometers and wireless joystick potentiometers I am seeing issues with the wired side with the motors running erratic.

I believe this is due to the wired side containing a motor shield and this is what is causing the noise.

The motor shield is a Adafruit DC Motor + Stepper FeatherWing and is currently powered by a 12V/2A power adapter.

The Arduino is a Adafruit Feather 32u4 RFM69HCW Packet Radio - 868 or 915 MHz and the potentiometers are 10k.

Looking for troubleshooting guidance and solutions.

Thank you, Robb

Grumpy_Mike:
Just wire the 0.1uF capacitor between the analogue input pin and ground and attach your 10K pot as normal.
If things are getting shaky then add some supply decoupling.
De-coupling
I have never had to resort to averaging in software to get a solid reading off a 10K pot.

I found this while reading through the search on the forums and will give it a try, sorry for wasting space and possible time. However if you have any thoughts/suggestions let me know.

Robb

It could be worthwhile adding capacitors right at the motor connections as well - brushes can cause a lot of noise

regards

Allan.

And definitely twisted pair for your motor wiring and power wiring.

I am reading four Hall sensors on the analog inputs of a Nano. The signals were nice and stable until I ran up two brushless motors using ESCs. I was running the Nano from the 5V output of the ESC.

Whatever I did with capacitors on the 5V, Vref or analog inputs had no effect. I then shorted an analog input to ground and still got up to 8 bits of noise.

The solution, for me, was to power the Nano with 8V via the Vin pin rather than supplying 5V to the 5V pin.

Yet another reason to never use the BEC of an ESC (the main one being ESCs fail spectacularly and could take out your Arduino with them). I've seen two ESCs explode/catch fire, one brand new, one just got stalled for a fraction of a second... I'd recommend using a serial resistor on the control pin to an ESC for that reason too (and it may reduce interference slightly too).