Analog or Digital?

I´m a highschool student who is just curious. I´m going to buy an Arduino Uno and some sensors just to see how it works. How do I know which sensors are compatible? Analog or Digital? Are all the programming sketches in this website? What other material do I have to buy to connect muy Arduino with the sensors and the computer? I need some help, Thank you,

Tomas

To connect a Uno to your computer you only need a USB cable. As far as the sensors, the connection method would depend on the sensor. Many come with male headers (either installed or provided for installation) that can plug into a breadboard or through the use of jumper wires. Sensors come in both analog or digital outputs. Analog outputs can be voltage (examples: 0-30mV, 0-5V) or current (4-20mA). Digital outputs include SPI and I2C. Just about any sensor can be made compatible the the Uno. In the case of a 0-30mV output analog sensor, the sensor is not directly compatible as the output voltage is not high enough to get any kind of resolution with the Uno ADC. Amplify the signal to 0-5V or 0-1.1V and it is compatible.

Welcome...

tomasqn: Are all the programming sketches in this website?

No: that would mean everything has already been invented 8) . But if you look here and in the Playground you'll find tons of stuff.

Also, when you buy components you may find code (often in the form of libraries) to get you going. For example I bought a DHT11 temperature and humidity sensor and found that the maker has a connection diagram, sample code, and a link to a library here. I have it online on my Arduino server here.

If you want to try a sensor xyz that you may have acquired, very often if you Google "xyz arduino" you'll be surprised what you find in terms of diagrams and code.

My advice, if your finances allow, is to get one of the many starter kits around; there's an official Arduino one, but many suppliers have made up their own.