Analog Output 0-10DC

Im in the hvac building automation service. Currently using these controllers bc-service.nl/downloads/FX15.pdf and also from distech-controls.com .. We use these controllers to run entire hvac systems. Its almost the same as an ardunio. Has inputs and outputs.

One thing I seen is that Arduino doesn't have analog outputs only pwm. Is there anyway to be able to send outputs 0 to 10dc. Example if I had fan vfd that operates on a signal of 0 to 10. To maintain a static pressure.

or if I want to run a economizer damper system. Where it opens damper to a certain position.

Sorry if Im all of the place. I just ordered a Arduino and its looks very interesting cause its open source

The controllers I currently use are not open source and cant do much custom programing.

Thanks for your help and if anyone has any questions for me I'm always around

To get a 10V output, first run the PWM output through a transistor with the collector load connected to 10V. Then apply a smoothing filter.
See:-
http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Tutorial/PWM.html
For theory and suggestions about the filter.

Thanks for the fast reply. Can't wait to start playing with it. I see this is C C++ coding.

Have never coded in that language. Is it hard to learn ? Any good sites or books that go into details on it.

Is it hard to learn?

Yes. But, then, anything worthwhile usually is.

Any good sites or books that go into details on it.

I'm sure there are.

Thanks for reply not much help lol and pretty much told me what I already knew =)

I guess il google around and find some decent tutorials on C

dont bother, they will cloud your mind with unnecessary stuff, start off by working with arduino examples and figure out how they work

arduino may use C as its language, but its a pretty narrowly focused version of it for arduino

Is it hard to learn?

Yes. But, then, anything worthwhile usually is.

I wouldn't say its hard - the learning curve is smoothed out a lot thanks to the somewhat intuitive language (common functions are easy to remember), the huge community thats always ready to help, and the mass amounts of existing documentation.

Thanks for all the fast replies. My auduino should be here any day. Just want to start playing with it.

The current programming tools I use for work and for building automation software is much easier as far as coding. Its a block program.. So you just drag over say a Digital Input select with Input Number and then on to next block a pid or whatever it may be.

Hopefully in future would be a program similiar for Arduino. The same program I used at one time was writing all code but as time went people made software to make coding easier.

Here is some block code from software we use to control building hvac systems.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=ifn9cl&s=6

Is this kind of software doable for a arduino. Where it has Pre programmed blocks with settings to choose.

I will be using both Arduino and these FX Controllers see what i can come up with

This is a good beguines guide for both the electronics side and coding side. http://earthshinedesign.co.uk/ASKManual/

I have a controller that can output 0-10DC or 4-20MA.. It also has digital outputs/inputs and analog. This controller I can write any number from 0 to 10dc and it will output. Should I be able to run a small dc motor with this setup?

I was going to use this controller and also my arduino to do tasks..

I have a small motor i took of a car. When I connect it to a 3dc or 5dc power. Motor starts spinning.

When I output same dc out of my controller motor does nothing.

With same output from controller I was able to power up a 5dc power board. So its outputing DC but for motor not working.

Im a noob in this stuff so excuse if I get things wrong lol.

I mainly did hvac service work and now went into controls. writing Where the UNT1126 I use for work its smiliar to arduino just easier to code for me since its line programming. From pre set assemblies you have pids, ao, di, do, etc..

Thanks for all your help

Here is the controllers pdf.

http://cgproducts.johnsoncontrols.com/MET_PDF/2495347.PDF

From your controller manual you linked too:

Analog Outputs
(0-10 VDC @ 10 mA)

That means the 0-10v output can supply only up to 10ma or put another way can only drive a load of 1,000 ohm or more. Your motor is likely much lower resistance then that so the voltage output can not drive it.

You would need to supply a current amplifier to drive a motor with this output signal.

Lefty