Analog Sound Input Amplification

Hello everyone,

I am in need of help for my project and I could really use your help. I am trying to get sound input in order to do some other stuff using the input, but the input level is too low. I am using a Piezo sound detector and the input is almost always 0, not going over 30 at most.

Can you please tell me what parts to get/what to do to be able to detect sound levels between 0-1000? I don't need to differentiate between different sounds I just need to have sound level detection. This video shows exactly what I want for sound detection but I cannot wrap my head around how he did it: [DEMO] Baby Crying Alarm - Group 6 - BME K58 [Arduino] [Sound Detector] - YouTube

any help is greatly appreciated, if you need to know anything else, please let me know.

Thank you for your time,
Akam

What is your sound signal source?
How are you hooking it up to the Arduino?
What are you working with?
Care to mention anything useful at all?

Something like the attached ought to work . The opamps could be 2 halves of a LM358.

Gain about 30x.

It won’t be quite rail to rail, but should be good enough.

It’s biased such that no signal gives an output at about half the supply, so that peak to peak should betwetween 0ish and +5ish

regards

Allan

ppre.pdf (19.4 KB)

Hi,
They use an electret microphone insert, so it has more output and bandwidth than a piezo element.
What frequency range are you wanting to look at?

What is the application?

Tom... :slight_smile:

INTP:
What is your sound signal source?
How are you hooking it up to the Arduino?
What are you working with?
Care to mention anything useful at all?

Sorry mate, I am just starting out with arduino.

My signal source would be a speaker. There will be a speaker playing a sound, based on the sound level, LEDs will start working.

I basically connected the peizo to the breadboard directly. I have an arduino mega with a big breadboard.

please let me know if you want anything else.

allanhurst:
Something like the attached ought to work . The opamps could be 2 halves of a LM358.

Gain about 30x.

It won’t be quite rail to rail, but should be good enough.

It’s biased such that no signal gives an output at about half the supply, so that peak to peak should betwetween 0ish and +5ish

regards

Allan

thank you for the info bro, can you please explain what those do? I have a little problem with what amplifiers do. It would be amazing if you could tell me what to get to get it working.

TomGeorge:
Hi,
They use an electret microphone insert, so it has more output and bandwidth than a piezo element.
What frequency range are you wanting to look at?

What is the application?

Tom… :slight_smile:

hello tom :slight_smile: thank you for your explanation. I will basically do the same thing as in the video, speaker playing a sound, a sound detector detecting the sound level, like an LED sound visualization, basically a conversion from sound to light. As for the frequency, all I need is to be able to detect sound from an mp3 player (phone), it would be amazing if you could giude me through the parts that I need.

thank you all for your time!

Hi,
Google arduino LED VU meter

You are making an LED VU meter.

Tom... :slight_smile:

thank you for the info bro, can you please explain what those do? I have a little problem with what amplifiers do. It would be amazing if you could tell me what to get to get it working.

That's a long story!

google opamp on eg wikipedia

As for parts, they're all there - an LM358 and a few resistors.

regards

Allan

Just get one of these

Why did you not post in the Audio section of the forum?

Thank you all for your comments!

Grumpy_Mike:
Just get one of these
Electret Microphone Amplifier - MAX4466 with Adjustable Gain : ID 1063 : $6.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

Why did you not post in the Audio section of the forum?

sorry my bad