Analog tilt sensors

Hi

I need two one-axis tilt sensors or one two-axis tilt sensor for messuring the angle of my hand. I have googled for analog tilt sensors, but they all look industrial and heavy. Maybe of of you guy’s know exactly what sensor I need for the purpose and possibly where to find it?

I have looked at the “AirStick” game controller which has a build in analog tilt sensor, but I don’t know if it’s possible to hack. I need to make it as small as possible.

Thanks.
Carl Emil

Can you use an accelerometer?

I thought an accelerometer only detects movements. Can it detect angles too? I need the angle of a hand.

An acceleromteter measures acceleration, including the constant 32 ft/s2 acceleration due to the earth’s gravity. You’ll have to do a bit of math, but a three axis accelerometer will tell you lots about orientation of the device.

-j

Thanks kg4wsv

I read the two-axis accelerometer tutorial and it looks managable. However, I have no clue how to read a three-axis accelerometer. Can the forum provide help on this?

Should i go for any three-axis accelerometer or is there a model I sould look for?

Anyone know any good online electronic stores in US?

Carl E

Sorry, I don’t remember enough about the math to help you out, but you can get the hardware at Sparkfun - they have several models, both bare ICs and breakout boards.

www.sparkfun.com

-j

Can this sensor be used with the Arduino?

Yes, but not directly powered from the arduino; th arduino is 5V, and this one needs 3V (2.0 ro 3.6V, according to the spec sheet).

In addition, you’ll need to either configure a 3V analog reference, or sacrifice 40% of your resolution because the Atmel’s ADC is in reference to 5V.

Instead of the one you reference, I’d try this one http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=847 (or one in that family) since it can operate on 5V.

-j

Oh blast. There is no 3-axis sensor in the ADXL320 family. They all run under 5V.

the one I linked to is a 5V 3-axis.

-j

I bought the ADXL320. I think 2-axis will do for my project. I’ll probably return with questions when I receive it. Thanks for all the tips so far =)

Carl Emil