analogWrite on Pins 5-6

So here’s my first newbie question. I have a simple program that provides a simple problem. I have 6 “identical” LEDs that are hooked up to ports 3, 5, 6, 9, 10, 11; the ones that support analogWrite. Each pin is first connected to a 1k resistor, then the LED, then a common ground. I assume all is well up until this point. The I have a simple program:

#define MAXPINS 6
int pins[MAXPINS] = {3, 5, 6, 9, 10, 11};

void setup() {
for(int i=0; i<MAXPINS; i++)
{
pinMode(pins*, OUTPUT);*
_ analogWrite(pins*, LOW);_
_
}_
_
}_
_And yes I know that pinMode(pins, OUTPUT); is not needed.*
When running this simple program (part of a previously more complicated LED fading program), the LED’s connected to pins 5 & 6 never go low.
Even just a simple analogWrite(5, LOW); and nothing else will cause pin 5 (not both) to light up faintly.
I have swapped LEDs, swapped resistors, tried higher & lower resistors, all leaving the LED on at (I assume) the same faint level.
2 Questions… Should I get a new board? Is there an EE out there that can suggest some resistor magic that will solve my problem?_

Are 5 and 6 the PWM pins maybe?

Maybe it wouldnt make a difference ;)

Are you using the ATmega168 chip? Older USB and serial Arduino boards with an ATmega8 only support analogWrite() on pins 9, 10, and 11.

It’s a brand new board < 1 week. Diecimila, and from the reference, pins 3, 5, 6, 9, 10, & 11 support analogWrite. Don’t get me wrong, the analogWrite works on these pins, I see the fading effect (as opposed to the on/off of the rest of the lines). It’s just that those two pins never appear to go completely low.

I think you need to use PWM values (0 to 255) instead of HIGH/LOW with analogWrite(). Try substituting 0 (zero) for LOW in your code.

I think you need to use PWM values (0 to 255) instead of HIGH/LOW with analogWrite(). Try substituting 0 (zero) for LOW in your code.

I already tried that as well.