Android with Arduino via Wireless Communication

Hi,

I have an arduino uno +Xbee Shield + Roving Network RN171XV Wifi Module. Now my question is how to set it up? I also want to communicate between my android device and arduino via wifi. I've read that it need a router. Can anyone explain to me how does this work. Does Android need to connect to a router in order to communicate with arduino via wifi module?

Hi,

Depending on the version of Android on your device, you may not need a router. "Wi-Fi Direct" has been available since Android 4.0 and is how peer-to-peer Wifi connection is possible. It means if you're writing the app on the Android end, you'll need to use those APIs, and if you're using an app you didn't write you'll need to be sure it is capable of peer-to-peer or, your Android app will only talk in infrastructure mode which means via a Wifi access point of some sort (ie the router you mention).

Hope this helps, Geoff

Hi,

I am new to this and I'm doing this for my final year project. What I have is Android, Arduino Uno, Xbee Wi-Fi Shield, and XBee Wi-Fi Module. All I want is how to code in Android and Arduino. I understand that in X-CTU software, there are XBee Ip Address and Wi-Fi protocols(UDP/TCP). I tried to modify others work but not working. Can someone please help me. I just need to turn on and off the LED. I just need the start.

Thanks!

Hi,

What have you done so far? There is a lot of info on this sort of thing online which should get you started. However, you'll have to be more specific about the problem you're having and share your code so far for us to have a chance of helping you.

Geoff

hello, im making my final project I just want to ask if how to establish a communication between arduino uno and android via wifi module esp8266 so that it can communicate vice versa please