Animatronic wig - portable power for multiple servos?

Hello! Looking for some portable power advice/recommendations - I'm doing a second version of a project I made a few months ago with a wig that has blinking animatronic eyes in it.

Essentially I need to figure out a portable and as lightweight as possible way to power 8 micro servos. Version 1 of this project ran off of 8 AA batteries, which worked great, but as this whole thing sits on top of my head, 8 batteries was HEAVY and I'd ideally like to use something much lighter weight - plus I have way more servos to power in this version (8 instead of 2).

Any suggestions/recommendations? I'm going to run the Arduino itself off of a cell phone battery pack, but I'm really new to the electrical/power component of this and would appreciate advice. Also ideally I'd like to not set my head on fire by accident.

Thanks in advance for the help!
-K

Do the batteries really need to sit on your head as well? I would think a wire down your back to something in your back pocket would be much more comfortable. Look into a lipo power pack. They are rechargeable. Depending on how long you want it to run between recharges and how much your servos require will dictate the size (mA-hours)

1 Like

Well, "AA" batteries will be the absolute minimum needed to power your servos, but 8 sounds wrong as that would be 12 V. The servos run on 6 V, so what were you doing?

Your "cell phone battery pack" if by that you mean a "power bank" with a USB output connector, sounds a possibility but eight micro servos may potentially draw something approaching 5 Amps if they all move at once. You need to research power supplies for 8-channel RC model systems.

This is why I posted here - it will in fact be more comfortable to not balance them up there. Thank you - can't believe I didn't consider this myself in the first place!

Thank you, I'll check this out!

Previously 4 of the batteries were powering the arduino and 4 were powering the servos. And I do mean a power bank with USB output - I think I'll have that power just the arduino this time around since I suspect the power the servos will need to draw is going to be more than it can handle.

Thanks for the response!