Another Breadboard Arduino (Sorry)

Not the first and not the last. I was bored tonight.

I took cues from a few different places. The FDTI cable is connected funny because I don't have any extra long male headers right now. Blink sketch, etc. Auto reset, etc.

Before someone says anything, that green LED lacks a resistor because it has an internal resistor (designed for 5V operation).

I did this because I plan to make a permanent custom Arduino on some soldering protoboards.

Only problem I had was switching TX and RX and subsequently having major issues, but I eventually figured that out. (Careful, this mistake caused some heating in my case.)

I'm posting this hoping it will be useful to someone.

Looks nice...

You've got a circuit and partlist somewhere?

I suppose I could throw something together.

EDIT:

BOM

1 - ATMEGA328p/168 (28-pin DIP package) 3 - 0.1uf capactitor 2 - 10k resistor 1 - 1k resistor 1 - Tactile pushbutton switch (Normally Open) 1 - 16MHz ceramic resonator 2 - LEDs of your choice for pin 13 and pilot light 1 - Jumper wire kit or 22 guage solid wire 1 - FDTI breakout or FTDI cable

As for schematic, I don't have any suitable software right now, but I'll offer this:

I copied most of this design: http://imagearts.ryerson.ca/sdaniels/physcomp/tutorials/Arduino_standalone/ard_hack.html

Though available everywhere, I made sure I wired up the auto-reset trick properly with ladyada's Boarduino schematic: http://www.ladyada.net/images/boarduino/boarduinosch.png

For the FDTI breakout:

GND goes to the ground bus you chose on the breadboard/protoboard. +5V goes to the +5V power bus you chose on the breadboard/protoboard. TX goes to pin 2 of the ATMEGA through a 10k resistor. RX goes to pin 3. Auto-reset functionalityh is accomplished by connecting the green wire of the FDTI cable (opposite the black ground wire), also labeled RTS by ladyada, to pin 1 through a 0.1uf capacitor.

I did not put a power supply on that version because I was just testing it. I'd just use an LM2940 or 7805 regulator and some capacitors. A 1N4001 protection diode and PTC would be good too, but I don't have any PTCs. The pictured circuit would not be pleased if you reversed the power supply, so at least a 1N4001 would be needed. (Cathode to the VCC/+5V bus, anode to the GND bus)