Another breadboard-friendly 'duino (or how I learned to love the dork - again)

So after buying my first Arduino, I picked up a couple of Modern Device’s BBB’s to put into projects. And then I discovered my first Arduino love, the dorkboard (http://dorkbotpdx.org/wiki/dorkboard).

Designed by dorkbotpdx’er Don Davis, the Dorkboard is small, cheap (found locally for about $6 + cpu or for $10 from Wulfden) and works well with a breadboard. I bought six over a period of time, and was very happy.

The only problem I had with the Dorkboard is the non-standard TTL-serial interface (5pins vs. the normal 6). This was ok for a time, but when I have 3 TTL Serial/USB adapters just sitting around I couldn’t use (vs. a single clumsy adapter board), it became a pain.

So I decided to create my own Dorkboard “clone”, which was essentially added a FTDI connector (and I adapted the parts to suit what I had). My board is slightly larger but does have labels for each of the pins. I did a “Rev B” and slightly moved the FTDI connector away from the 28pin socket (so I could use a vertical header if I wanted). Oh yeah, I moved the design credit to the back of the board so it could be seen when the board is assembled.

The attached pic shows my first run prototypes flanked by a headless Dorkboard.

Brad (KF7FER)

dorkherd.JPG

bboardSCH.png

bboardBRD.png

Could you explain, why the pins are not arranged in a line? I think that the pressure on the pins is not very convenient for the solder joints.

sth77:
Could you explain, why the pins are not arranged in a line?

Sure. The staggered pin layout comes from the Sparkfun library and is a trick to help hold the pins secure before you solder them.

I think that the pressure on the pins is not very convenient for the solder joints.

I think it looks worse than it is. The pins are still straight. See http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/114 for details on how it works.

Brad.

Sorry for the noobish question, but when connecting the ftdi and uploading the sketch, does this duino self-reset?

(deleted)

[quote author=Brad Burleson link=topic=97618.msg734494#msg734494 date=1332430371] The staggered pin layout comes from the Sparkfun library and is a trick to help hold the pins secure before you solder them. [/quote]

I've seen those in the library but have not tried them. How did they work for you?

spycatcher2k: Yes - it will - look at the diagram ;-)

And if you look closely at the picture you can see the 0.1uF cap used for auto-reset adjacent to the right-angle FTDI pins.

[quote author=Jack Christensen link=topic=97618.msg757410#msg757410 date=1334195799] [quote author=Brad Burleson link=topic=97618.msg734494#msg734494 date=1332430371] The staggered pin layout comes from the Sparkfun library and is a trick to help hold the pins secure before you solder them. [/quote]

I've seen those in the library but have not tried them. How did they work for you? [/quote]

They work perfect - the size is right on and they hold the pins very securely. I don't use anything else if I can avoid it.

Brad.

Are you willing also to share the Eagle files?

msev: Are you willing also to share the Eagle files?

Sparkfun is willing to share: https://github.com/sparkfun/SparkFun-Eagle-Library

msev:
Are you willing also to share the Eagle files?

Sure. I typically mark my boards as CC-BY-SA but I don’t think these have anything on them so feel free to use them as you see fit.

And thanks to Jack for posting a link to the Sparkfun library - it’s a great resource.

Brad.

bboard.zip (32.1 KB)

Thanks!