another car sensor kit

so i've read a few posts around here and looked into but i'm not anywhere up to it with computer stuff, so i need someone gto hold my hand hahahah :grin:

I want to put a data logger on my race car, FTR its a Toyota Celica with barely anything done to it but i have other project cars too. So sadly its not OBD2 and i cant get away with that easy route, not that i really want to because i WANT to log more stuff than OBD reads.

from what iv'e read and seen I'm thinking a Leornardo but even then i might need to run multiple cards to get the number of inputs i need. For example i want to measure individual exhaust runners X4 intake temp, TPS, fuel pressure X3 oil temp and pressure X2 brake pressure X4 tyre temperature X16 suspension X?

so all up i need at least 30 or so

I was thinking of running different systems like a suspension/wheel system and a engine and trans system

ideas? HELP

thanks guys PS i have just bought my first ardy kit and will be playing around and i know this will be a long haul project

tyre temperature X16

Your car has 16 tires, and 4 brakes? Is that safe?

ideas?

Start small. Learn how to read from one sensor at a time.

HELP

We may be a bunch of grumpy old men, but we aren't deaf. You have no reason to be screaming, just because your hearing is shot.

sorry i have to measure the temperature over the entire wheel (or so ive been told) commercial kits use 4 IR sensors per wheel along its face

yeah im going to start with some simple stuff when i get my uno but i think my biggest problem is the number of imputs and logging it all, ive found some single sensor stuff but is it as simple and copying that multiple times (with ports/pins changed)

yeah my hearing is screwed but it was more a groveling sound, just not font to portray it properly

sorry i have to measure the temperature over the entire wheel (or so ive been told) commercial kits use 4 IR sensors per wheel along its face

Interesting. I would have thought that the temperature would be relatively consistent over the whole tire.

A Mega would allow connecting 54 inputs, in theory, at least. Some of your sensors could be multiplexed, but the biggest limitation is going to come when you divide the sensors into analog and digital categories. Even the Mega can only handle 16 analog sensors.

but is it as simple and copying that multiple times (with ports/pins changed)

Sometimes, yes. Other times, its much more complicated. It really depends on the sensor.

not necessarily but come to think of it the resolution of my sensors probably wont be mil spec so one sensor per wheel would work. Without this sort of input i wouldn't of come to my sensors (PUN PUN PUN geddit)

yeah most of my sensors would be analog so i need as many analog pins as possible. is it possible to use an interim carfd of some sort to turn analog data into digital?

I guess i will find out when i get to that point, ill just keep reading stuff and playing around when i get my kit

Hi pickstock

Interesting project.
Just have one question, how do you measure the temperature of the tyres?
What sensor do you intend using to get that reading back?

Last time we hired a kit it was a standard infrared temp sensor, ill have to see how they actually work and if they can work with arduinio. im just thinking outloud for the moment.

pickstock: Last time we hired a kit it was a standard infrared temp sensor, ill have to see how they actually work and if they can work with arduinio. im just thinking outloud for the moment.

Fair enough, I was just curious, as the only way I could see it work would be I.R. like you said or some passive RF transponders like some car manufactures use to check tyre pressure.

Rf doesnt really work for the accuracy

you read what the gas inside the tyre is not the surface

Hello, I am interested in this topic as well. AEM makes an A/F gauge that outputs 0-5v for data logging. I am assuming this would be great for my arduino with my data logging shield. Starting small would be a great way to break into the data logging field. I am also interested in using an O2 sensor to input directly into an arduino for an LCD and data logging simultaneously. I think you could do this a little simpler by using a few data loggers instead of just one. Maybe you could use some sort of analog input shield that could give you more inputs? I see your project as totally do-able, but a lot of work, post some progress for us.