Another frustrated newbie

I have looked for a resolution trying to avoid being chastised for asking to be spooned-I'm not new to the internet, forums, or hardware/software issues, but this has me stumped.

I bought a clone Uno.

Downloaded and installed the software.

Wrote the blink sketch.

Among other faults, I get the unable to find tiny URL, etc.

I've tried to download drivers.

I can only see COM3 which I understand cannot be my device.

I've tried 32 bit Win7 and 64 bit Win7 machines with no difference.

I'm trying it on a MacBook Air now with no difference.

One thing that confuses me (amongst the many) is that I read where the red LED should flash under certain conditions-like pushing the reset button on the board. My red LED remains lit continuously but the green one flashes at about one Hz (estimated). When the reset button is pushed, it flashes quickly for a second and then returns to its annoying one hertz flash rate.

Based upon the lack of a flashing red LED, I suspect the boot loader is missing, but I believe I still have com port/driver issues.

Suggestions?

And yes, I apologize for yet another newbie asking the same questions as have been asked so many times before.

edit:Is there a mechanism by which I can confirm communications with the board?

PTSchram: My red LED remains lit continuously but the green one flashes at about one Hz (estimated). When the reset button is pushed, it flashes quickly for a second and then returns to its annoying one hertz flash rate.

It looks like on your board the red LED is power and the green one is the pin 13 LED. It is commonly called the L LED because on many boards it's labeled L. Its flashing pattern indicates the bootloader is on there and is probably OK. You probably don't have a driver installed for your USB-to-serial chip that is on the board. Get out a magnifier and look at the small square or rectangle chip near the USB port. If it is a CH340G, download the drivers for that chip and install. If you do indeed have CH340G chip: http://www.wch.cn/download/CH341SER_EXE.html, you are looking for the CH341SER file to install, there is one for Mac and one for Windows. I recommend Arduino IDE 1.6.5 or 1.6.6 for working with the Uno and for starting out. Later versions and especially 1.6.8 seem to have problems.

PTSchram: I can only see COM3 which I understand cannot be my device.

I am not sure, I suppose that could be your device. Does COM3 disappear when you disconnect the USB cable? Look in Device Manager to see the details about your Uno's USB-to-serial port.

It is indeed the CH340G chip.

Thanx. I'll download that driver and give it another shot.

Surprisingly, given my level of "Experience" I was able to read the chip! and, it is the "L" led that's flashing, although it is not adjacent to pin 13, but I'm learning.

Thank you again!

That did it!

The green LED is blinking away furiously now.

The "Blink" sketch worked a charm.

Thanx