another "Programmer is not responding" error

i'm running Mac OS X 10.4.8 I have ardunio 0006 alpha I've ran Software Update to make sure that I have the lastest Java. I've ran the lastest FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_1_7 I've ran macosx_setup.command I've restarted. I've selected /dev/tty.usbserial-A1016kG I've pushed the reset botton on the board and everytime I try to upload to the board I get this error.

Firmware Version: 1.18 Programmer is not responding.

or just the "Programmer is not responding."

can anyone help? sounds like I'm not the only one with the problem.

I am running the same OS.. I find that pressing the reset button about three seconds after pressing upload in the IDE does the trick.

tried it. nothing.

Hardware-wise there is a general list of things to check...

• does board power-up with a rapid blink of an led connected to pin 13 and ground? Your bootloader is OK if it does.
  • power header in correct position for board to be powered by USB? (towards the USB connector)
  • using correct serial port?
  • nothing connected to pins 0 and 1 during bootload process?

If all of these are OK, then it's probably not hardware.

I am running the same OS on an Intel machine, and everything works perfectly. Beacause of the multi-platform nature of the Arduino, you sometimes have to work a bit to get it running right on your particular OS... keep trying, and let us know what works.

I do get the power led, the led next to pin 13 blinks, nothing in pins 1 and 0, and the USB power jumper is set right. so if it is a software problem. any idea were to start looking?

Oh, and I guess that I didn't say that my mac is a PPC.

maybe I could uninstall everything and start over??

:-/

Here'a a voodoo programming suggestion: *press the verify/compile button on the IDE *wait for the result *press reset on the board *press upload on the IDE

Massimo mentioned this separation of compile / upload is necessary in practice on some machines, though I didn't catch his explanation. Yes the upload button will also do the compile, but I'm thinking that perhaps if compilation is slow you can miss your upload window.

See also this upload troubleshooting guide.

Stick with it. Arduino's all a piece of cake after this.

I verify/compiled and uploaded and got this, this time:

Atmel AVR ATmega8 is found. Uploading: flash Firmware Version: 1.18 Firmware Version: 1.18 [FWB 1] Device is not responding correctly.

I tried it again right after this and got the wonderful error

Programmer is not responding.

right back to were I started? :'(

When you press reset, the on-board LED stops blinking and then resumes after 5-10sec, yup?

I sometimes find quickly pressing the reset button twice works for me :-)

@neillzero

that is what it does. reset and ~5 sec. later the pin 13 or "L" led blinks again.

@boppyer

still not working after two reset pushs, I even tried 3 and 4 resets.

:-[

Do you see either the TX or RX led flash once?

If not, it may be that the computer takes a while to compile the sketch, and so by the time it tries to upload it, the bootloader has already timed. You may need to press upload, wait a few seconds, and then reset the board. Try various pauses from 1 to maybe 15 seconds. Resetting the board multiple times doesn't help, you just need to get the timing right.

I verify/compiled and uploaded and got this, this time:

Atmel AVR ATmega8 is found. Uploading: flash Firmware Version: 1.18 Firmware Version: 1.18 [FWB 1] Device is not responding correctly.

I had this message yesterday too, but after reconnecting it to the USB port it worked....

@mellis the TX and RX led flash once and about a second later the i get Programmer is not responding and the "L" starts to blink

What is going on?
I leave the thing alone for a day come back it. I was going to reinstall everything and start over. I plug in the board into the USB cable for one last time and compile and upload the led_blink sketch and it works. I wire it up on a breadboard and it works. I change the code a little to add another led, compile and upload, and it works. I play around a little bit. compile/upload and now I get this :

Binary sketch size: 4300 bytes (of a 7168 byte maximum)

[VP 2] Device is not responding correctly.

I try it agian, and get:

Programmer is not responding.

:frowning:

Hmm, the board’s not resting on anything metal (like the case of a MacBook Pro) is it?

Since it worked at least once it's probably a timing issue.

I had similar (although not nearly as severe) problems occasionally when using a slow, old computer (400MHz with WinXP).

This is how it works for me almost every time: 1) verify/compile 2) click upload button 3) reset arduino board after a second or two

On this old, overloaded computer the IDE obviously needs a little time to do its work, and if you reset the arduino board first it won't work. The above procedure works almost every time for me.

no, it's actually on the plastic bag that it came in, on a wood desk. I got the board pre-assembled from sparkfun. When I first got it, it worked just fine. Then it started do this. I haven't even had the board a week yet.

Have you tried pressing the reset button after the upload button (with different pauses between)?

yes many times. I just tried again and got this weird message:

Atmel AVR ATmega8 is found. Uploading: flash Firmware Version: 1.18 Firmware Version: 1.18 Programmer is not responding.

just trued again and got:

Atmel AVR ATmega8 is found. Firmware Version: 1.18 [VP 1] Device is not responding correctly.