Another Way To Wire Shift Registers...

I thought of a different way to wire shift registers.

Normally, you connecct all the latches and clocks together, and then you do serial from arduino to serial in 1, and serial out 1 to serial in 2, ect.

This way is different... You connect all of the clocks and serial in lines together. Then you control each latch seperately. So you send the same data to all, and trigger (latch) 1, and send more data, and trigger 2.

This idea uses more pins, but whatever... I think it's a cool idea.. Let me know what you think... And if you like it, I'll rey to make it...

I thought the second method was how folks usually wired them up.

How does that use more pins?

In the one instance, you have a common clock, a common latch, and one serial line for each chip.

In the other instance, you have a common clock, a common serial line, and one latch for each chip.

Seems to me that amounts to the same number of pins.

Ah, I mis-read his post. I'm aware you can wire them in serial fashion like that.

Normally, you connecct all the latches and clocks together, and then you do serial from arduino to serial in 1, and serial out 1 to serial in 2, ect.

...but I thought he was suggesting using one pin from the arduino for each serial line. Which one might do if one was dealing with certain types of chips with serial interfaces which didn't support a pass-through setup.