Antenna for Superheterodyne pin???

Hi, I'm using that 433 super heterodyne receiver but...

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Super-heterodyne-RF-Wireless-Receivers-Module-433MHZ-/271657868934?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f40121e86

When I builded my yagi antenna I was unable to find the + for antenna because the pin to solder on receiver is connected to the ground...

Somebody knows where can I find the + pin for antenna?

Thanks.

Is it not the other side of the coil, as shown in the attached photograph?

I was unable to find the + for antenna because the pin to solder on receiver is connected to the ground

How do you know this? What might look like a short circuit to DC can be high impedance to 433MHz.

back.jpg

That is not a superheterodyne receiver, but no matter. The antenna connection is the solder blob on the lower left corner of the board, looking at the component side (next to a small coil).

The antenna input circuitry is probably designed for a 1/4 wave dipole (17 cm straight wire) and probably not for a yagi antenna.

jremington:
That is not a superheterodyne receiver, but no matter.

Of course it isn't - it is a superregenerative. It has two transistors, apparently a simple (and I do mean simple) RF stage somewhat ameliorates the potential for co-interference.

jremington:
The antenna input circuitry is probably designed for a 1/4 wave dipole (17 cm straight wire) and probably not for a yagi antenna.

Trivial distinction - definitely "no matter". If used with a Yagi antenna, the two connection points would be the antenna terminal and a ground "thru" on the same end of the board.

Thanks for your answers. I'm a beginner in electronic that why I though that it was the ground.

To be sure I get that model

There is an antenna pin and a ground. Hope it works.

My aim is to make a tracker for Lost RC models.

My aim is to make a tracker for Lost RC models.

Well most RC models only have a receiver in them so how would that help you track them?

Probably by putting that transmitter in the model.

polymorph:
Probably by putting that transmitter in the model.

You're right, I want to put a transmitter inside. It's cheap and I can expect a good range with narrow band antenna.

With rc rx failsafe position I can active it only when needed so it doesn't disturb signal.

In the ham radio world this is know as a fox hunt. Someone hides and you have to find them. I have done this quite a few times. You do not need a yagi as there are too. Any side lobes. What works best is a dipole and you search for the sharp null not a maximum.

Grumpy_Mike:
In the ham radio world this is know as a fox hunt. Someone hides and you have to find them. I have done this quite a few times. You do not need a yagi as there are too. Any side lobes. What works best is a dipole and you search for the sharp null not a maximum.

I heard about fox hunting, I did a tape measure antenna from this "sport/game".

I just need to check if my antenna could work...

You might have to do a matching network to get the antenna to connect correctly. Look up the term balum.

Grumpy_Mike:
You might have to do a matching network to get the antenna to connect correctly. Look up the term balum.

I saw something about that, a piece of wire bend like a square that short circuit + and -. Is it what you talking about?

Well not quite it is a balanced to unbalanced coupler. You can make one with a coil and some capacitors.

Grumpy_Mike:
Well not quite it is a balanced to unbalanced coupler. You can make one with a coil and some capacitors.

I saw on wikipedia about balun, it talks about tuning and I think it's over my knowledges. Maybe I should buy to people whom know how to like that seller seems to. He says he can tune it to 433.92.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-base-yagi-beam-antenna-pmr-435MHZ-70cm-6-elements-high-gain-folded-/301438482087?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones_Communication_Radio_Antennas&hash=item462f2236a7

No it is not a matter of tuning the frequency, it is a matter of ruining the output impedance of the module to the impedance of the antenna.
You might very well be over your head.

jremington:
That is not a superheterodyne receiver, but no matter. The antenna connection is the solder blob on the lower left corner of the board, looking at the component side (next to a small coil).

A Yagi is a dipole... Just has some extra passive elements too. The impedance mismatch
is less significant for a receiver, matters more for a transmitter. To a first approx dipoles are
75 ohms, and this happens to be the impedance of old analog TV downlead coax cable.

[Actually some Yagis are folded dipole, which are much higher impedance]

For tracking down a lost drone you don't need accurate directionality, but you
do need to know forwards from backwards, so a dipole and the nulling method
could send you precisely 180 degrees in the wrong direction for a while!

As MarkT says, a Yagi is just a dipole with extra elements. It is rather somewhat critical as to lengths of wire and distance between them. You can simply use the balun from a TV coax to twinlead adapter, it is built to cover a wide bandwidth and 433MHz is right in the middle of it.

A log-periodic antenna is by its nature wideband and much less critical.

Here is one made by etching a double-sided PCB, using hardline coax. The peak is in the direction of decreasing size. As pointed out, you can get a sharper indication by using the null off the back.

Where it attaches:

A schematic-like view of how it is connected:

Note the frequency range in this article, 400MHz to 1GHz:

A lot of TV antennas are log-periodic. This view gives a better idea of how they are constructed.

Here is an online calculator:

MarkT:
A Yagi is a dipole... Just has some extra passive elements too.

That is not the point and I am tempted to say and well you know it.
The passive elements on the Yagi add gain and lobes which ruin it's usefulness when tracking down a transmitter. Or have you never done that and are just book learned?

so a dipole and the nulling method
could send you precisely 180 degrees in the wrong direction for a while!

That is why triangulation is important.

A log-periodic antenna is by its nature wideband and much less critical.

No the impedance matching is just as critical, it is just it has a wider bandwidth at the expense of a lower gain.

I was unclear. I meant that a log-periodic antenna is less critical with respect to frequency versus size of elements.

The directional antenna is going on the receiver, and as has been said, impedance matching is a lot less important for reception. The balun is very important, but I pointed out how that can be done.

Grumpy_Mike:

Balun.

You must be pulling our collective legs! The impedance matching on the module in question is absolutely nominal. At UHF it is common to completely ignore the balanced/ unbalanced matching on antennae (or use a simple stub balun).

Grumpy_Mike:
You do not need a Yagi as there are too. Any side lobes. What works best is a dipole and you search for the sharp null not a maximum.

Not for VHF/ UHF we do not use dipoles! Rubbish about side lobes! Yagis are standard, usually three element with good front-to-back ratio and minimum difficulty in the bush, though one of our “gun” hunters uses a slot dish for close-up 2m work.