anti overflow 16 bit counter arduino

Hello, i'm very new with programming but my teacher gave me a task to make a 16 bit counter and not overflow-ing, but i dont really know what is "overflow" term, i tried to google it but cannot understand, can anyone tell me? and how to prevent it? thanks before..

The only way to prevent it is not to count that high.

AWOL:
The only way to prevent it is not to count that high.

oh does it means if the counter reach 16 bit (65535) i should stop it?

Bit weird you can't find it with Google (maybe boost your Google skills?) but uhm, an overflow is simply trying to add something to a variable/register/timer that's already at 'the biggest value it can hold. So after which it becomes 0 again (if increased by 1).

And stop counting is an option. But then it's not really a counter anymore, you're not counting... So the question is a bit weird. If you want further help I suggest literally post the question from the teacher here.

septillion:
Bit weird you can't find it with Google (maybe boost your Google skills?) but uhm, an overflow is simply trying to add something to a variable/register/timer that's already at 'the biggest value it can hold. So after which it becomes 0 again (if increased by 1).

And stop counting is an option. But then it's not really a counter anymore, you're not counting... So the question is a bit weird. If you want further help I suggest literally post the question from the teacher here.

hehe i just dont understand the explanation from google, its too long and complex..
i need simpler explanation, just like you did (thanks!)
my teacher actually said this "create a 16 bit counter and not overflow, connect it with labview, and it can be stopped by timer you make"
please helpp

Then indeed stop counting and maybe report back you stopped counting.

(deleted)

oh does it means if the counter reach 16 bit (65535) i should stop it?

Correct! If you go over, it will "roll over", start-over at zero, and count-up again from there. (With signed integers, "interesting" things happen because of two's complement representation.)