Any Good Switching P.S. For Arduinos In Industrial Environments?? or filters..

I was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations for power supplies that would be good at protecting connected mircocontrollers in environments where there are lots of p.i.d. heaters and servos on the same AC lines.

my boards are inside of metal boxes (mounted under a machine) with a bunch of p.l.c. and networking stuff around it.

Some machines provide 120vac and others are 230vac, so an input range close to that is desirable.

Good lightning/spike suppression/protection integrated into the P.S. would be an excellent feature!

Yesterday i had a synchronization issue with an ethernet shield and one of my switchmode power supplies where if the AC adapter were plugged into the wall while the arduino was connected (or like powering up the machine!), the DC voltage came up too slowly and the W5100 ethernet controller would just blink on and then off for a second meaning i had to manually push the reset (which kinda sucks when the panel's bolted shut..).

So a power supply that doesnt output until it's (internally) up to voltage or a fast ramp would be really nice!

i am also interested in filters for my existing units as an alternative (in case the price of decent to exceptional grade power supplies is too much).

thank you everyone very much for any suggestions in advance!!! :)

megaBlocks: Yesterday i had a synchronization issue with an ethernet shield and one of my switchmode power supplies where if the AC adapter were plugged into the wall while the arduino was connected (or like powering up the machine!), the DC voltage came up too slowly and the W5100 ethernet controller would just blink on and then off for a second meaning i had to manually push the reset (which kinda sucks when the panel's bolted shut..).

The next one you make will have an external reset switch! ;)

Henry_Best:
The next one you make will have an external reset switch! :wink:

Hi Henry,

I was trying to avoid the ability for operators to easily reset any of these systems (though a key switch would be very nice but costly!). some of the information is based on timers and i would like to not loose those values unless the machine is actually power cycled. there is a usb extension cable behind a non-interlocked panel with only two philips screws holding it. if a reset is required i can pop off that panel and flip the dtr line via a terminal program on my laptop pretty easily…

ok so i solved the power on reset issue of the W5100 by making a small batch of add on r-c timer modules (via toner transfer method) that simply hold the reset pin low for a little bit longer than it takes the power supplies to get up to voltage.
(note: for some people this may interfere with programming your device, though for me, the ten boards i have tested all worked fine).

I am however still very interested in any suggestions on good power supplies (preferably manufactured in the U.S. ).

megaBlocks:

Henry_Best: The next one you make will have an external reset switch! ;)

Hi Henry,

I was trying to avoid the ability for operators to easily reset any of these systems (though a key switch would be very nice but costly!).

Cheap keyswitch: 9 pin D plug . Cross wire some of the pins in the plug (eg 2 to 5, 3 to 8, 7 to 9) and put it in a cover. Fill with Araldite. A 9 pin D socket on each of your boxes wired to detect that the plug is in and only do a reset if the cross wiring is correct. You keep the plug in your possession so that nobody else can copy or use it. You could even fit a momentary switch on the cover of the plug.

For anyone who may come across this in the future, i found these which seem to be ok..

9 VDC 1000mA regulated switching power adapter - UL listed http://www.adafruit.com/products/63

Hi, go direct to the distributors or manufacturers with your inquiries, they won't bite, and it is surprising what you can google. Personally "MeanWell" Say no more,nudge nudge, Erci Idle (this phrase was used in Australia to advertise chocolate peanut bar.)

Tom....... :)