Any method to restore win vista backup files (not system image) to win 8.1?

Don't worry, I didn't wipe my vista machine. I can turn it on and painstakingly copying all folders to an external drive.

On the other hand, I have a complete file backup on my external drive. From what I read on msft forum, the win 7 file backup restore tool has been removed in win 8.1. I have 8.1, so I can't find a way to restore my vista files to my new machine. Mind you I have near 1 million files. I won't be opening each zip file and try to unzip and or stitch files.

liudr:
Don't worry, I didn't wipe my vista machine. I can turn it on and painstakingly copying all folders to an external drive.

On the other hand, I have a complete file backup on my external drive. From what I read on msft forum, the win 7 file backup restore tool has been removed in win 8.1. I have 8.1, so I can't find a way to restore my vista files to my new machine. Mind you I have near 1 million files. I won't be opening each zip file and try to unzip and or stitch files.

Are these all just regular user files? Not installed programs?

The free version of Crashplan would probably work. You install it on both machines, have the old machine back up to the new machine, then once its done you go onto the new machine and do a local restore.

If your USB drive is faster than your network, you could have crashplan back the files up to your USB drive instead and move them that way.

Have a look at Todo backup a free and (for me) a better product than Arcronis true image.

Riva:
Have a look at Todo backup a free and (for me) a better product than Arcronis true image.

I don't think a disk imager will work, since he's going from Vista to 8.1. He needs something that only copies files.

wizdum:
I don't think a disk imager will work, since he's going from Vista to 8.1. He needs something that only copies files.

It will also do files.

I warn anyone interested in upgrading their vista/7/8 to 8.1, DON’T! At lease not until you get all your files and then turn off windows 7 backup in 8 before upgrading to 8.1. You won’t be able to turn auto backup off once you upgrade to 8.1 and then you’re screwed out of space and presented with errors when scheduled backup is run.

I ended up copying the files to my external drive. Read some more online posts. Seems MSFT has once again abandoned the good computing practice and its supporters in terms of backup files. There is no way to restore “Windows File Backup” from win vista or win 7 to win 8.1. Only possible way is to make a disk image and mount it in win 8.1. To do that, you need some ultimate version of vista or that kind of bull crap that MSFT threw at consumers, one thousand different trims for one lousy OS. Only the top trim gets to do disc images, not my home whatever version.

I can’t think of the amount of anger and frustration that many others have, when they did a full backup and wiped their computer to install win 8.1. What a typical way, right? Wipe clean the old and install the new, except this screws up the files entirely.

Now that my new machine is running, I can turn my older machine into a Linux computer and explore a bit more what that may do in the future. From what I know, backup functions are always included, you just have to know the command and options, of course.

As for the new machine, I’ll just use image backup once in a while on a USB 3.0 drive. Probably fast enough.

This is why I have always used separate drives for files and for the OS. I can do whatever I want to the OS drive, format it, replace it with Linux, whatever, and my files remain accessible and untouched on the second drive. It also made the transition to SSD much easier, since my OS drive was never very large to begin with.

I only have laptops so no way to benefit from having two physical drives and upgrading to SSD+HDD. I have an SSHD with 8GB NAND flash and 1TB spinning hard disk. Hope it becomes fast after a week of usage.

How big SSD did you get and how do you like it? I'm now with an older laptop. I'm thinking about getting an SSD for it but need some advice.

liudr:
I only have laptops so no way to benefit from having two physical drives and upgrading to SSD+HDD. I have an SSHD with 8GB NAND flash and 1TB spinning hard disk. Hope it becomes fast after a week of usage.

How big SSD did you get and how do you like it? I'm now with an older laptop. I'm thinking about getting an SSD for it but need some advice.

SSD prices just fell through the floor, so now is the time to buy:

I have a 120gb SSD and a 60gb SSD in my gaming desktop, along with a 7500 rpm 500GB drive. I have a 60GB SSD and a 750gb HDD in my laptop. I'm thinking about swapping the 120gb in my gaming desktop for that 250GB that I linked you do, and putting the 120gb in my laptop.

What model laptop do you have? Most of them have a space mSATA slot that you can stick an SSD in. Mine has two mSATA slots, along with a standard 2.5" SATA bay.

I recently had to switch back to using the 750GB HDD as my boot drive on my laptop. The amount of suffering that the switch caused is not something that I can describe over the internet. Putting an SSD in your computer is the single largest performance boost that you will see.

I wouldn't go with anything lower than a 120GB SSD. You can get away with a 60GB sometimes, but Windows likes to make random 10GB files that drain your available space rapidly.

There is also a company now that is making a real hybrid SSHDD. It is a 120gb SSD and a 1TB HDD in a 2.5" formfactor. You install the OS to the 120GB SSD, then install a driver that makes the HDD available.

Thanks. I'm also thinking 120GB min. I will have a slimmed down OS or even dual win/Linux. My win 8 laptop with SSHD boots up in just a few seconds, fast enough. What the SSHD people argue about 8GB is that most boot files and apps won't take up 8GB. I hope their "research" is right. My new laptop has no mSATA slot. It's a dell inspiron 14r. My older laptop is a core-2-due so it's 5 years old. Definitely no mSATA. I'll see what SATA it takes.

Do you know if the SATA drives are backward compatible?

liudr:
Thanks. I'm also thinking 120GB min. I will have a slimmed down OS or even dual win/Linux. My win 8 laptop with SSHD boots up in just a few seconds, fast enough. What the SSHD people argue about 8GB is that most boot files and apps won't take up 8GB. I hope their "research" is right. My new laptop has no mSATA slot. It's a dell inspiron 14r. My older laptop is a core-2-due so it's 5 years old. Definitely no mSATA. I'll see what SATA it takes.

Do you know if the SATA drives are backward compatible?

SATA drives are backwards compatible. A SATA3 drive will work in a SATA2 port, just slower. mSATA became a standard in 2009, so its possible theres a slot in there. mSATA is entirely different from SATA, its usually in a small 1" x 2" bay somewhere on the bottom of the laptop.

I'm not really a fan of SSHDs, the performance benefit is not worth the price. The SSD portion doesn't really store any files, its just used as a temporary cache. My Lenovo did come configured with some sort of Intel "RapidDrive" software that did what you are thinking though. It watched for the programs and files that I used regularly, and moved them to the 60GB SSD, replacing the originals with symbolic links.

Windows 8 boot times are mostly great due to the fact that it almost never turns your computer all the way off. Even the "shutdown" option just puts it to sleep.

I see. I didn't know shutdown is a different sleep. It only takes a few seconds to turn one and off though. I feel like I now own a "weller solder station" laptop. I used to use a radio shack iron. Took minutes to get it hot enough for jobs. So I had to pace around. Same for my old laptop. Now I just press power, sit down, and log in and use.

Windows does play a trick when shutting down. It first turns off the screen, making you think it's off, but it will take a few more seconds to actually power down the laptop.

In fact the SSHD was not a purchase. My laptop came with a 5400RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 1T hard drive. It was slow and noise and fails every single seatool test several times (It is Seagate drive). Plus there were other issues, at the age of 2 weeks old, so I sent it in and they replaced the drive with a Seagate SSHD. It's free. Retail price is about $110 vs. $70 for HDD of the same size. I honestly can't feel any delay. The caching is done within the SSHD so it's different from having two drives and any OS or system tools doing moving and shadowing.

I took sometime to check internet regarding SSD upgrade for my Lenovo y530. It is not possible. People tried and never got it to work. I am too unfamiliar with mSATA and can't tell if I have mSATA or express PCI slot (or are they the same?!). The computer has a number of hardware compatibility issues during its product life cycle, which already ended. It should support 8GB memory and Lenovo never bothered to release a new bios (no bios download from them). It is the evil planned obsolescence they are playing. Makes me hate Lenovo twice as much. My wife's Lenovo thinkpad died short of 3.5 years after purchase with a very common NVidia design issue GPU. Several pc manufacturers issued extended warranty and several didn't. Guess which party Lenovo belongs? Took me a lot of time to find out what problem it had (no way to boot with a broken GPU) and spent $130 to get it fixed. Now its fan has gone south and a proper replace is hard to find and expensive. I'm thinking about pulling its drive (with vista and Linux) and sticking it in my y530. I need to keep y530's original drive somewhere safe in case my new Dell needs a second depot visit :slight_smile:

liudr:
Now that my new machine is running, I can turn my older machine into a Linux computer and explore a bit more what that may do in the future. From what I know, backup functions are always included, you just have to know the command and options, of course.

No, that's not true. There is some "undelete" functionality but that's a terrible thing to gamble on.