Any sugestions about cheap TFT displays?

I have been reading and reading before purchasing a TFT display for my project. About 2 to 3.5 inches.

I have found that the cheapest ones in Ebay are not 5V tolerant. So you have to buy a converter or building a voltage divider. No good deal for me. In addition, there are some bad reports for SainSmart displays.

On the other hand, I will like to use a small library to have room for my project. It seems that, for example, UTFT library is very heavy.

So after considering all the problems people is having, I would like to see a summary of what people is buying and the problems they are facing or not. This post could be interesting for many people like me, that are beginning with TFT displays. Some links to ebay or similar websites will be very appreciated,

So, please share your experiences. Thanks in advance.

Francisco

Get one with serial interface - that takes fewer pins (basically SPI plus D/C and RESET). The cheapest displays seem to be about 2" serial 320x240 without touchscreen. The ILI9341 seems a common CoG chip for these, I believe its supported by UTFT (check).

Fewer pins is easier to level shift. You can ignore the data out since you only need to write to the display, saves another pin.

ProfePaco: I have found that the cheapest ones in Ebay are not 5V tolerant. So you have to buy a converter or building a voltage divider. No good deal for me.

Yes, but that's the way they are if you want "cheap". (at the moment)

A CD4050 chip for level shifting costs about 30 cents. Adding one extra chip for a 'project' is no big deal.

You can also power your Arduino at 3.3V if whatever else you're connecting is happy with that.

ProfePaco: In addition, there are some bad reports for SainSmart displays.

I never had a problem.

Very interesting answers...

Fungus, what do you mean by powering the Arduino at 3.3 volts?

Regards,

Francisco

ProfePaco: Fungus, what do you mean by powering the Arduino at 3.3 volts?

Simple: Get an Arduino that runs a 3.3V

For my project I'm using a Pro Mini and a programmer with 3.3V selector.