Any theories as to why there are so few clones of the newer Arduino boards?

By newer I mean boards that have been available for a couple of years or so.
Has the world just switched to ESP32/ESP8266 and left the official boards behind?

many clone manufacturers create boards which are software compatible with the SAMD Arduino boards and boards which are compatible with the AVR core but have a different PCB form then Uno or Mega

Juraj:
many clone manufacturers create boards which are software compatible with the SAMD Arduino boards and boards which are compatible with the AVR core but have a different PCB form then Uno or Mega

So they are doing their own designs using the SAMD rather than making exact clones of official Arduino boards hence the lack of results if you search for something like "mkr clone Arduino"?

It would be interesting to know how much market traction the more advanced Arduino boards have achieved - never mind clones of them. Presumably they are competing with products used for professional projects and I wonder how much the Arduino system is attractive in that market place.

I also wonder if there are too many different Arduino boards with overlapping capabilities.

I suspect there would not be much interest in making clones unless there was already a large market.

The ESP products seem to be attractive for the hobby market.

To be honest I have not yet exhausted the capabilities of an Uno or Mega. And if I have any "demand" for a new type of board it is for one that is very small - maybe 25% the size of a nano and with some convenient form of wireless on it - for radio control projects.

I bought a couple of ESP32-CAM boards but I was very disappointed by their large size.

...R

mikb55:
So they are doing their own designs using the SAMD rather than making exact clones of official Arduino boards hence the lack of results if you search for something like "mkr clone Arduino"?

Search for Arduino SAMD21

I've been surprised at the lack of 3rd party shields/carriers for the MKR form factor. Here you have a large family of very well supported boards in a consistent form factor that is shield-friendly. It seems like a great opportunity for making original accessory products.

pert:
I've been surprised at the lack of 3rd party shields/carriers for the MKR form factor. Here you have a large family of very well supported boards in a consistent form factor that is shield-friendly. It seems like a great opportunity for making original accessory products.

How many Unos are out there and how many MKR form factor boards have been sold?

What's the cheapest price of an MKR board?

What sort of user buys the MKR boards?

...R

I bought a couple of ESP32-CAM boards but I was very disappointed by their large size.

Size aside they are also very inconvenient to use due to the need to short 2 pins in order to do an upload then remove it afterwards in order to get the code to run, along with the need to press the reset button situated on the underside of the board so that it cannot be reached easily if the board is in a breadboard

When testing software with repeated upload/change code/upload changes cycles this becomes a real pain

Arduino themselves have clamped down on some of the trademark usage which in turn has affected some clone sellers ability to reach certain markets such as Amazon.

Take away some of the MASS markets and it is not as profitable to make clones and sell them.

Many now use the word "compatible" in the sales blurb which gets around the selling aspect but still leaves many having to be more careful about what they sell and where.