Any trick way to update Marlin+RAMPS?

Hi, I have a 3d printer in my garage about 150-feet away and no portable computer to take to it.

Currently, if I have to change anything in Marlin settings, I have to disassemble the control housing, unplug all the cables and take Mega+RAMPS to my PC.

Is there any low cost way of updating Marlin on the Mega+RAMPS where it is on the printer via an SD card, USB-port or something?

(deleted)

Marlin is just a large arduino sketch, so the question is really how do I load a sketch remotely. Bluetooth is a possibility, although the range may make it questionable.

Another possibility is to use a Pi (a Pi zero-W would do) and remote into it over wifi from your PC.

How much program memory does your version of Marlin use? It's shown in the Arduino IDE after you compile. The reason I ask is because some options will require you to have sufficient free program memory.

I'm using the Ariadne bootloader to allow me to do remote uploads over Ethernet:

Here's one that allows you to load a compiled sketch from an SD card:

Here's an option for uploading over WiFi via an ESP8266 module (or Ethernet):

That one does require you have 2x the program memory required by the sketch available, though it looks like there is an option to avoid that requirement by adding an SD card for storage.

WaitSome:
Is there any low cost way of updating Marlin on the Mega+RAMPS where it is on the printer via an SD card, USB-port or something?

Borrow a laptop for a couple of hours?

…R

pert:
Here's one that allows you to load a compiled sketch from an SD card:
GitHub - zevero/avr_boot: Arduino Bootloader to Flash from SD Card

Ahhh, exactly what I was looking for. I will try this one first. Thanks.

wildbill:
Another possibility is to use a Pi (a Pi zero-W would do) and remote into it over wifi from your PC.

Thanks, Wild Bill, that is now on my "try next" list.

Robin2:
Borrow a laptop for a couple of hours?

Ahhh, you City folk. It might be fine for you, but when it is 20-minute drive to the nearest neighbor and I am not sure they would have a laptop or if they did, if they would loan it.

Perhaps you can ship me one of yours for a day? And, many times over as I update stuff almost weekly. Would you loan out your laptop?

"Trite" is a word that comes to mind here.

WaitSome:
Would you loan out your laptop?

I have 4 gathering dust, so yes I would lend one to a friend. (And, no, I am not wealthy - I don’t have a car)

“Trite” is a word that comes to mind here.

Your Original Post said nothing about your distance to a neighbour and I have more than once been surprised by the simple ideas that Forum members have not considered.

If you don’t want to shell-out for a cheap used laptop then I suspect a Raspberry PI (which is a small Linux PC) would be capable of uploading the Marlin code.

…R