Anybody else try Windows 10 tech preview?

I installed it in a spare hard drive. While I was glad to see the reintroduction of the start menu, I was otherwise not impressed.

The use of a microsoft account to sign in is ridiculous and too much like "big brother"

I also dislike the tiles on the start menu. And performance doesn't seem that good (although it is beta)

Also, it contains a keylogger!

we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spellcheck features.

I suspect W7 will be around for a long time like XP and maybe prompt more people to migrate to alts like GNU/Linux

I've loaded it in a virtual machine running in Win 7. I like the interface better than the Windows 8(.1) one. At least the start button's back, and I don't mind the tiles in the start menu. They're better there than on the 'modern tile interface' of 8. I also don't like the insistence on a password to do anything (same as on 8). There's no access password on my Win 7 machine. The only people who have access to it are my family and I trust them. Hopefully, the keylogger is only in the preview and will be removed in the final version.

I've got it in a VM. Meh; I was starting to like the "start page" in 8.1 (used IN ADDITION to the desktop/start menu, mind you.)

(I've discovered that W8.1 and presumably 10 don't work very well in VMs, due to the whole licensing/activation situation. It's going to be a real PITA.) (Probably W7, too. But I mostly skipped that.)

I haven't been able to make it work in a VM hence running it on real HW

I despise the start page in 8. I find 10 is better but I still don't like the tiles and the overall childishness and how it seems to push propaganda.

Windows 7 works fine in a VM.

Hopefully, the keylogger is only in the preview and will be removed in the final version.

I hope so. It sure doesn't instill confidence that it exists in the first place.

I also don't like the insistence on a password to do anything

I don't mind the password but I don't like having it linked to a M$ account. But I see where you are coming from

westfw: I've got it in a VM. Meh; I was starting to like the "start page" in 8.1 (used IN ADDITION to the desktop/start menu, mind you.)

(I've discovered that W8.1 and presumably 10 don't work very well in VMs, due to the whole licensing/activation situation. It's going to be a real PITA.) (Probably W7, too. But I mostly skipped that.)

What VM are you using? 10 works fine, although a little slow, for me in VMware Player, running in Win7 (64bit). How much memory have you allocated to the VM?

I'm using virtual box on a Mac Pro. I only gave it one core and 2G of RAM, though. To be honest, I haven't tried to do much with it. It's around more for those "I wonder if this will still work in 10" moments.

westfw: I'm using virtual box on a Mac Pro. I only gave it one core and 2G of RAM, though.

I gave it 4G of RAM and 1 core.

To be honest, I haven't tried to do much with it. It's around more for those "I wonder if this will still work in 10" moments.

Yep. That's why I installed it, and also curiosity about the user interface.